Chapter 31: Slytherins

***

"We'll continue the solution tomorrow. Slughorn has assured us and the rest of the class that it will be properly stored until then," Severus Snape voiced out as they left the class, recalling the steps they needed to finish the Strengthening Solution. After all, it required two days to be brewed properly, and both of them intended to succeed. 

Beside him, Sandy nodded, carrying her satchel over her shoulder. "Oh, I know. Don't worry. I'm not like Milford. I do know my way around potions." The two chuckled ever so slightly, as they remembered how one of their classmates had blew up the solution mid-class, earning them detention.

"Yeah, I can tell. I honestly don't understand why some individuals are not competent in potions. Its quite simple stuff, really."

Not wanting to talk bad of others, she shrugged in response. "Well, we all have subjects we're good at, and others we're less good or downright terrible at. Myself included. What's important is that try to improve on those over time."

He nodded back at her as she chewed the inside of his cheek in thought. Then, he proceeded to point at the potion class's door with the back of his thumb and cheekily question his friend. "How long do you reckon it will take Milford to be at least adequate at potions?"

Sandy covered her mouth as she let out an mused snort, earning herself a wide, pearly white smile from the Slytherin. However, the duo's moment of joy with each other was cut short soon, as a certain, fellow Gryffindor rushed out of the class room, shirt untucked, and his tie around his wrist. Both his presence and unkept appearance earned him a scroll from the Slytherin. "Hey, Sandy." Sirius then glanced at Severus with the same amount of distaste and acknowledged him briefly. "Snivellous."

Seeing her future potions professor clench his fists in response, Sandy tried to get between them. Perhaps, she didn't just need to smooth things over between James and Severus, but also with the Black heir. "How about we cease the name calling?"

He pointed at himself in surprise, not expecting to get called out on his actions, and for Sandy to take a Slytherin's side. "Why? He and his snakes love to use the M word on people like Lily. At least, this one is fitting and justified. Isn't that right, Snivellous?"

Severus seemed appalled at the accusation, quickly coming to defend his own self. However, he did not care for Sirius' opinion on him, but more so Sandy's. "I have never... No."

So, it hasn't happened yet. Good, good. Sandy kept her thoughts to herself as she nodded. "Generalizing that all Slytherins are pure-blood supremacists seems rather extreme, and likely wrong. You can't just make assumptions like that."

"I know you're knew here, and he's trying to poison your mind-" Sirius was quick to try to excuse her behaviour, wrongly considering Sandy's actions to be done out of goodness and naivety. In his mind, it was his duty to help her see that she was in the wrong, and that no Slytherin was to be trusted. "-But, pure-blood supremacy began in the house of snakes with Salazar Slytherin himself. They're all rotten. That is where all dark wizards grow up."

She took notice of Severus' clenched jaw and fists, and Sandy was certain he was a second away from bashing Sirius' head into the wall; repetitively. She had to do something. Both to cease the tension between these two, build a good trust foundation with Severus, and hopefully get the two teenage boys to cease their fire against one another, permanently. "No, its not a requirement. Perhaps the norm, or the loudest voices are like that, but not everybody. There are good Slytherins, Sirius. Slytherins who don't believe in that shite."