Chapter 37: Nightmares and Lovers

Second update of 2024! How is everybody? I hope the year has began well for you all :)

***

The next day, Sandy found herself in the common room, with Lily Evans right by her side, not willing to let her out of her sight. This had proved to be a conundrum, for it was a Saturday, which meant Sandy would not have many excuses to escape her grasp with classes and whatnot. Even at breakfast, things had not worked in her favour, as the redhead dragged her to the Great Hall, and forced enough food on her plate to feed an army, before observing her under a magnifying glass. Metaphorically speaking. Although, Sandy did not doubt she'd do so literally, if she gave the witch any more reasons to worry. And she had reacted in the same manner when dragging her to Madam Pomphrey too, later. 

In her mind, she heavily believed the redhead was being overdramatic in her quest to look after her. Nearly every second, she could feel the girl shifting her eyes from her copy of 'Emma by Jane Austen', over to Sandy, and back. Beside her, Sandy too tried to read, although her own book was much less fiction, and more so content on Time Magic from the restricted section (granted to her the previous day by Dumbledore). "I'm bloody fine, you know? I don't need a witch-sitter."

Finally looking up for more than a sixth of a minute, Lily shook her head. Flipping the page, completely unbothered by the girl's claims, she was quick to make her retort. "I beg to differ."

Strutting through the Fat Lady's portrait, James Potter entered the common room, and unexpectantly, did not have neither of his three best friends at his tail. He grinned at the sight of the two witches, and plopped on the seat beside Lily. "Hey, how are two of my favourite witches?" When he received a glare from the redhead, he adjusted his glasses and rose his hands up in surrender. "The other two are my mother, and Minnie, I solemnly swear it... I'm not like Sirius."

Rolling her eyes, Lily nearly considered ignoring his overall presence. However, after being reminded of what had transpired the previous night, she decided to shallow her pride. With a small smile that nearly seemed painful, she looked up at Potter, making his eyes sparkle at the sight. "I may... need... your help... with something." Everything she spoke felt like venom to her tongue. Perhaps she had been partially transfigured into a snake that morning without her knowledge. 

The boy, on the other hand, did not hear her hesitation nor hidden detestation  and frustration at the situation. Instead, he positively beamed at the words, and ruffled his hair before straightening up. "Whatever you need, Lilyflower. I'll help you with anything."

She had been ready to scold at him, and opened her mouth, only to find herself closing it without a word. As his words registered, she noted something most peculiar. Perhaps a fluke of the universe. Something out of this world, for they had indeed sounded nothing but sincere and eager. Not suggestive, nor flirty, nor cocky. At the recognition of this, she hid her scarlet cheeks behind a curtain of hair. Taking in a breath to remind herself why she was asking in the first place, Lily slowly enunciated her words with all the willpower she could master. "It's about... The whole... Helping someone though a panic attack thing... You seemed good at it last time."

Another surprise came to be, for Lily noted that the boy immediately frowned and looked Sandy's way, eyebrows furrowed. "She had another one? When? Is she okay?"