Chapter 27: Cushion Fight

***

Detention was spent polishing trophies for several hours. Without the use of magic, as expected. It wouldn't be punishment enough otherwise. Regardless, Sandy preferred it, for the last time she had detention, she had to write lines with Professor Umbridge (or as she liked to call her, Umbitch or Fuckumbrella)'s charmed dark quill. That was not a day she could ever forget, for the reminder was literally engraved onto her skin; 'I must not challenge my professors'. 

Sometimes, she felt overwhelmed with that memory, as well as with the story behind the other word engraved onto her skin by Bellatrix, with a dagger. 'Mudblood'. Other times, however, they gave her courage, for she remembered that she had survived, and come out (periodically) stronger from these events. These weren't the only scars on her body (physical or mental), but they were the hardest to hide, in her opinion. Mostly now, in September, for most people wore short or medium length t-shirts and blouses. The (somewhat dying) heat limited her choice of clothing. One of the scars was in the back of her hand, which, she truly cared less about. It was the slur, which could quite literally get her killed, if seen by the wrong person (a.k.a. Death Eaters), and therefore the scar that mattered most. After all, she was supposed to be a Half-blood, or so was the cover story. 

Either way, to her knowledge, no one had seen the scars. No one other than Dumbledore, whom she willingly showed. But, she was wrong. James had seen the one on the back of her hand, despite not being able to fully read its content. Yet, he spoke none of it to his friends, nor did he acknowledged nor question her about it, fearful of how she could react with her anxiety. Still, he kept a close eye on her, and urged his friends to do the same (some not needing the extra encouragement to do so). 

Additionally, her roommates had caught a glance of others across her body, like the one on her left ankle. One she got on a particular night of the full moon, towards the end of her first year. Socks usually hide those well, and most people couldn't tell the difference between scars caused by dark charm or werewolf claws. The girls too did not ask questions, nor made any indication of their awareness of her scars.

Following detention, Sandy and Remus later finished their Ancient Runes homework together, despite fighting against not falling asleep at the exhaustion from all the cleaning at detention. Once achieving their work, they went to their respective dorms, and plopped down on their beds. 

The next day arrived, and the Quidditch team positions were up on the wall of the common room. Those who had tried out or had friends on the team were the first to rush towards the parchment nailed on the wall, to take a look. "Congratulations, Mary!" As it had turned out, Mary MacDonnald had actually been interested in trying out. Although she had wanted to become a Beater, the Prewetts had her try-out for the Seeker position instead, and found that she indeed was a much better fit there. Now she had officially gotten her position. "You were great yesterday!"

"Thanks!" That was the first word she could muster after jumping up and down, releasing a serious of excited giggles through the air. "I did it! I did it! I did it!" Marlene was beside her now, also jumping up and down in a weird celebratory dance together. 

As for Lily, she had a small smile of her own, despite groaning in supposed annoyance. "Great. Now I have to deal with two of you. I better not need to visit either of you too often in the infirmary! Otherwise, gravity won't be what takes you to the afterlife. It will be me."