VI. Fairy

It's been days since the debutante, the Duke, as usual went away to take care of the family's business. I thought that my everyday life here will get better as the Duke finally found a use for me but I was wrong.

Eversince then, It seems like the Duchess has taken quite a loathing for me. She'll make sure that I'll be miserable every minute of the damn day. Most of the maids, under the Duchess' commands will find a way to 'put me in my place.' 

"My Lady, the breakfast is ready." Noelle said. I stood up and composed myself, I'll face the devil incarnation itself. 

Walking to the dining hall took forever, if there weren't maids looking, I would've drag my feet. Noelle looked me with concern in her eyes. She witnessed everything anyway and I think it's weighing her down that she couldn't do anything to help me.

It's the Duchess we are up against with, anyway.

The butler opened the door to the dining hall, where  the Duchess and her two sons were already seated in their respective seat.

"Oh. You're here." The Duchess smirked. I did not even bother to respond, it'll just be a waste of energy to talk to someone with the likes of her.

"Take your seat." She ordered. As I was going to sit beside Caspian, with a snap of her fingers, her maids forced and dragged me to the floor and there was dog food served under the table.

"Oh my, that's your seat, am I right?" She said and laughed.

Psychopath.

I just kept my mouth shut. I kept sitting on the floor the whole time. The Duchess seems impressed for what she have done. As for me, this isn't a big deal. She's done it eversince the Duke left.

Noelle can give me food later anyway.

"Noelle." The Duchess called. It instantly piqued my interest. What is she planning with Noelle.

"Yes, my Lady?"

"From now on, you'll serve Caspian. I will appoint another maid for Serena."

"Y-yes, my Lady." I can sense the hesitation in Noelle's voice but she knows she can't go against the Duchess. She know that no maid in this castle is in my side but her.

I did not expect that the Duchess will stoop this low. I am just grateful that she isn't planning anything to harm Noelle. If she's with Caspian then I will be at ease.

When they are done eating, the Duchess left the dining hall, leaving Caspian, Emyr, Noelle and some of the Duchess' maids. Noelle instantly went to me and helped me stand up and as usual, she's on the verge of crying.

"I'm so sorry my Lady. Are you hurt anywhere?" She frantically asked as she checked my whole body for new bruises or wounds.

"I'm fine, Noelle."

I met the gaze of Caspian who looked away swiftly. It is not difficult to notice that he is being distant. His eyes screams guilt everytime he looks at me. I won't blame him though, she is their mother after all. It is also not hard to assume that the Duchess got rid of the necklace I gave Caspian.

"I'll always be your sister Cas. Please take care of Noelle for me." I whispered loud enough for him to hear. He looked up at me and he is in the verge of crying, I have to fight the urge to hug him at this very moment.

"Please be safe, my Lady." Noelle said, already crying.

"How long will you plan to stay there?" Lucille's voice echoed through the hall.