XXXVI: Truth of Clye II

Maurice's treatment has been improving. He considers me one of his own, as if he accepted the fact that the offspring of the love that killed Lena is here on the very same place that my mother had her last breath. It might felt like he accepted me but it seemed like there's hesitation within him specially when he stares of my crimson eyes, the distinct color that he hated so much.

Az has been nothing but the kindest person I have met. He might not be as conversation, he's a good company. I had the opportunity to go out of the Clye's main residence, the view is spectacular. There's not much to see unlike the unique architecture of the Capital nor the lakes in Gleis, Clye has it's own magical vibe. From the majestic mountain ranges, to the deep forests and the unstopping fall of snow. Everything here is solemn, peaceful rather.

“Hi!” A little voice suddenly spoke, followed by a set of giggles. Az and I stopped on our tracks and saw a little boy smiling widely and a little girl hiding behind his back.

“Hey, how can we help you?” I said, squatting down to be on the same level as the children. I just got mesmerized on how the people here in Clye has this tinge of white in their hair as well as in their eyes. It seems like they are one with the snow.

The little boy grinned as he pulled the girl behind him to the front. “She wants to meet you!” He continued grinning from ear to ear, meanwhile the little girl who has this long and beautiful hair hid her face out of embarrassment. Her hair is amazing, it is as dark as the night sky but there are white streaks all over, just like the little boy have.

“Hi there, you don't have to be shy. It's okay.” The little girl removed her small hands that was covering her face, revealing her white orbs.

“Y-You look pretty.” She said and ran away, the little boy running after her.  Az helped to stand up as we watched the two run deeper on the silent and almost abandoned looking town.

“Is there a lot of people here?” I asked Az who nodded as a response. “There's people left in Clye. Not much but I think the whole population now is fifty.” He said, I was surprised because of the small number of people living in this place but it is not unexpected.

The environment of Clye, as well as the lack of support from the Capital makes this place a hell to live in.  I can't imagine how those little child can survive this kind of life.

“Don't make a sound.” Az swiftly pulled me in the hidden corner. A group of men marched in to the town, holding large axes. They stopped in one of the houses and knocked aggressively.

An old man opened the door, just like the little kids earlier he has black hair with streaks of white, his eyes were also white in color. His eyes widened at the sight of these men.  His thin and small frame trembled as the men towered over him. An old lady can be seen behind the old man, her hand gripped tightly to her husband's arm.

“We h—have nothing. The winter is worse—there's—” The old man slumped on the floor as the large and heavy hand of one of the men landed on his right cheek. I gasped in horror, Azrael instantly covered my mouth. He gritted his teeth, Him and I shared the anger and pity for the old man.

“You've been saying that excuse for a while now. You think we're a fool?” The old man trembled, his wife trying to shield him from the men.

“N—No please, spare us. We have nothing.” The wife begged for their lives.

As the man was about to kick the old man, Azrael stood up and walked towards them. His cloak hiding his features. Without a sound, he helped the old couple to stand up. “Who are you?” one of the men asked.  “Go back in, it's cold outside.” Azrael said calmly, fully ignoring the man.