XXXVIII: Plans

It's been a week since we have given the saps to Winston. I am not worrying about anything, Winston is a great guy and I believe in Maurice's judgement.

Azrael and I has been trying different ways to injure the Cerce tree. I thought I had magical hands the first time I did it but I learned that it wasn't the case.  “This is hopeless.” Az said as he slumped down the snow-covered ground, panting as he dropped the axe beside him.

“No, let's try again!” I said as I tried touching the smooth trunk of a cerce tree with the hopes of it leaking it's sap but just like what happened for the past few days, it did not budge, not even a tiny scratch.

I sat beside Az and left out a deep sigh. It's been days and we aren't getting anywhere. It is already making me frustrated but I don't want to let this opportunity slip away that easily. This is the first time that I would be doing something that could be beneficial for a lot of people. So giving up isn't an option.

“Can you think of what you did the first time?” Az said, his heavy breathing was visible through the smoke that he emit due to the cold temperature. I tried thinking of what happened that day but all I can remember was touching the trunk with my bear hands.

I looked at my hands, I prepared them as I thought I had this special abilities. I even removed the ring that Cyn gave me on our supposedly wedding day. Do not get me wrong, I have no lingering feelings towards it but it's pretty and must've cost a lot of money so that could be helpful when time comes.

Wait. What if the ring is what damaged the Cerce tree?

“Wait for me here, Az.” I said and stood up, running as fast as I could back to the manor. I did not even bother to greet Maurice and went directly to my room. There, in my bedside table lies the golden ring. I snatched it and wore it and ran back to Az.

“What happened?” Az asked as he looked at me worriedly. I shook my head and tried touching the trunk with the ring getting in contact with the cerce tree and soon after, drops after drops of sap fell on the snowy ground.

“Az!” I called. He came closer and his eyes widened as he saw the saps getting solidified and turned into a precious stone.

“How did you do that?”

“The only way to injure a Cerce tree is through gold.” I explained as I collected the solidified saps on the ground.

We made our way back to the manor, feeling accomplished of what we had discovered. It felt a sense of bliss as I know that this will be the start of Clye once again. I can finally do something useful for the sake of the people here.

“Maurice!” I ran towards him and gave him a hug. I can't contain my happiness. He seemed confused but generously hugged me back.

“What happened?” He asked when we let go of the hug, the three of us sat on the vacant sofa on the sitting room, infront of the great fire of Guinevere.
I explained everything to him and even though Maurice don't tell what he truly feel by words, I can see it clearly on his face that he is somehow relieved that there's still hope for the land he loved so much.

“That is a brilliant news. So what's next?” He asked.

“As early as Winston finished the jewelries, Az and I would go to the borders of Yeoris. We'll try to create a market there and when we are there, I would like you to gather all a small group of people who you trust and harvest the saps. Find someone who can help winston on creating new things from the saps okay?” I explained the plan which Maurice understood.

“When will you depart?” Maurice asked.

“Tomorrow.”

Bluistain, Capital
Estain, Imperial Palace