XX: Reflection

Serena, Age 18.

"I-I did it! Did you see that Arthur?" I exclaimed and jumped towards Arthur and gave him a hug. It made Arthur flinch but he hesitantly accepted my hug.

I practiced all year long and honed my swordsmanship skill, it is quite different from the traditional training of knights as I have tried wielding two swords at once and after a full year, I mastered it already.

Autumn will be ending soon and the Empire will face winter. As it is winter, my birthday will come up. In the first fall of snow, I'll be coming of age.

I'll be eighteen and the real plot of the story will begin.

"Congratulations, my lady."  Arthur congratulated me.

"Am I interrupting something?" Emyr suddenly said as he leaned towards the training ground's entrance. In the course of a year, the once little kid that I knew is now looking exactly what I described in the original book.

He's tall and developed his body over time. Even though he's been mature eversince, he seemed more mature now. If someone sees him, he can be mistaken as the Duke of Gleis, except younger and shorter hair.

"Oh. Nothing much." I said as I  bowed to Emyr. He'll be crowned as the successor of the dukedom in his coming of age next year. So, it'll be appropriate to be polite and respectful, specially when people are around.

"Shouldn't you be preparing for your coming of age banquet tomorrow?" He asked, on the course of a year, we haven't interacted nor talked that much, he's either away or busy with his responsibilities in the Duchy.  He did not even bother to join and accept my invitations for tea in his rare day-offs. I almost felt like we have drifted apart, same as Caspian too. I never received a response to my last letter that I gave him during the test of courage. 

I don't know what's happening maybe this is a work of fate but I am not the naive Serena anymore. I am now prepared of everything that may come in my way.

"Yes, I will." I said. As I am about to leave the training ground with Arthur, Emyr spoke.

"Serena." He said, his arms gripped my wrist.

"Yes, your grace?" I asked.

"Caspian will be coming home for you banquet." He said without looking at me. I just bowed once again and left.

It is just frustrating. I thought we are in good terms already. I just hate the feeling that all those years we spent together means nothing to them. Ignoring me without stating a reason is absurd.

My heart broke at the thought of Caspian, the person closest to me as a family. I just can't find a reason as to why are they doing this but it's good to know that he will go home for my birthday even if he don't have to.

It gave me hope, that maybe he's just busy with his own life there.

"My Lady?" Arthur asked.

"Hmm?"

"Your room is here." He said and pointed at my door that I just walked past. I gave him a weak smile and we walked in to my room.

In a course of one year, everything has become different. Everything fell apart.  All I knew was I fell sick the day after the test of courage and everything after that is like a haze in my memory.  The only thing that I can remember is doing what I did for the last five months, but after that, it's all a blur.

Caspian won't respond to my letters, Emyr has been avoiding me and I haven't talked to the Duke eversince the test of courage. I tried asking Noelle and Arthur of what happened but they kept their mouth shut, as if there's someone out there threatening them to not speak a word.