XVIII: A Test of Courage

"Lady Serena, the Duke requires your presence in his office." Pierre personally went into the training grounds where Arthur and I practices. Which is really odd. He rarely leave the Duke's side, this might have been an important matter.

I bid farewell to Arthur, I did not bother changing my clothes. I know I have to look presentable at all times but I now know that I have a hold in this Duke's neck now as he desperately tries to gain my favor. So me, showing up soaked in sweat with my training uniform will not be a big deal.

I followed Pierre, he's been with the Duke for so long but I know nothing of him. In my book he is just a mere secretary, a right-hand man of the Duke who satisfy his orders. He was never hostile nor abusive towards me even the first years I've come to this world.

As soon as we reached the door to the Duke's office, he made me sit in one of the couches infront of the Duke's table and put a pile of folders infront of me. Emyr is also already there.

"What is this?" I asked.

"You two will have your coming out of age ceremony in a few years. As a custom that we have to follow. You need to be engaged." He explained, Emyr started reviewing the files given to him.

"Is there anything we can—"

"No, there's nothing we can do. It is for the betterment of the Duchy after all. We need heirs to continue the Gleis bloodline." How stupid this thing can be?

"Emyr can—"

"Hey, don't let me shoulder all the responsibilities. You too, have your duties as the first daughter of the Duchy." Emyr exclaimed, aggressively turning the pages of his files.

"Oh. I have a proposal." I said, remembering the whole Annaliese and Caspian ordeal.

"Speak." The Duke said.

"What are your thoughts about Caspian marrying the Princess?" I asked, Emyr slightly kicked me under the table.

"It will most likely to happen, if Caspian wanted to, Of course." The Duke said, not even trying to hide that he favors Caspian more than Emyr and I. Which is great actually, I am no sure that Caspian will never be forced to do something he doesn't want.

"I've heard from our servants that the Crown Prince proposed to you?" Emyr asked, with a smirk.

"Is this true?" This caught the Duke's interest.

"Yes but I rejected him, father."

"You've been stone-willed on rejecting the Prince, may I know the reason why?"

He will love another girl and will try to kill me. Well, I can't say that.

"I just don't like him." I responded.

"If you say so, but don't you think that being an Empress would be the best? We will be having the full control of the palace once you become the Empress." He argued. I thought he was in my side? Maybe he hasn't really changed, he is till hungry for power.

"Father. If I were to marry someone, I like them to be able to stand before you, someone who can withstand the Duke of Gleis." I exclaimed, I could see the subtle change in the Duke's face.

"Then that would be difficult as no one has the guts to face me." He said and laughed.

"Exactly. If no one is like that, then I am afraid we have to put this engagement on hold." On one look, Pierre stood up and get the files infront of me.

"What about me?" Emyr asked. I just smirked at him.

"Find whomever you like and I'll make sure to—"