XV: Crimson's thy Final Sight

The ride back home is peaceful, I also found out that the other founding family left as soon as we left the Imperial palace, leaving the that place in Chaos.

Whatever Cyn told me before I left kept playing on my mind.

"You're acting really weird today." Caspian said as he watched the moving scenery outside the carriage we share. I just ruffled his hair as a response.

He's too young to know my worries and just like in the book, I want to keep him away from filthy politics and grow up safe and happy. The only future he deserves.

We got back to the Gleis manor safely. Caspian and I met Emyr and Father who arrived a minute earlier than us.

"Rebecca, escort Caspian to his room." The Duke ordered, Caspian bid farewell to us and left with his servants.

"Follow me." His voice as clear as the night sky. We followed him to his office where he made us both sit on the couch. He ordered Elias to bring some tea for us to drink.

"So what's all of this about, Father?" Emyr asked as he took a sip of his tea.

"What did I taught you?" He asked, I don't know if he's talking to the both of us or just Emyr as I can't remember anything that he taught me.

"Death awaits who taint our name." Emyr stated as if it's an oath.

"Correct. So, I assume you know what I mean?" The Duke smirked as he looked at us with bloodlust eyes.

So this is what Cyn is talking about. The duchy of Gleis is known as proud and vain. Since they are the most wealthy family in this Empire, no one dared to go against them, even the Imperial family.

Unlike the Duchy of Draux who's the center of the Imperial Knights, Gleis' know no laws. If I remembered correctly from the book there's a passage who went down from generations:

Mercy to thee who soiled thy name as blood pour on the hell's gate. Crimson's thy final sight as thou face damnation

After years of being here in this world, All I've seen is the Duke's iron fists  toward his own daughter. This would be my first time of seeing if that passage is a truth or just a hoax.

"Whatever it is, He's still the Emperor. He holds the highest authority in this land." I butted in. The Duke looked at me and smiled.

"I know that you know how that garbage is like an empty shell. He's got nothing but that title." He laughed in the most sinister way.

"I agree with Serena here father. If we, in any way harm the Imperial family, the Draux Duchy will get involved." Emyr stated. The Draux is known as the shield of the Empire and over the reign of the current Emperor, they are treated as a literal shield, throwing them into the depths of war in the distant lands where lives has been lost.

"Draux. I pity them. Imagine dedicating your life to a sorry excuse of an Emperor." The Duke replied.

"We can't afford to have an all out civil war especially no Duchy will side with us." I said, Clox and Draux has a really close relationship as both of their rulers are half-siblings. The holy land is located in Clox so it will be heavily guarded by the knights of the Empire.

"I see you haven't realized what power you have." Father looked at me, dead in the eye.

"One word and this Empire will fall down on its knees... I can make this Empire kneel before you if I wanted to."