XXVII: Are you happy?

The day of the Imperial wedding came quickly. Even on the last days of preparation there's no Cyn on sight. As if this wedding is nothing but a mere appointment he have on his busy schedule. Of course, it made Serena feel upset, I felt how she tried to pretend how excited and happy she was because of this wedding.

“We're going now, Lady Gleis.” The Imperial dressmaker politely bid her farewell as she and her attendants left my room as soon as we finished the final fitting for my wedding dress.

“Aren't you happy?” I whispered as I slumped my back into the soft mattress of the bed. Serena did not respond, I felt her presence but she's been unresponsive. A heavy heart weighed me down, as if someone held my heart to tight. It was Serena, she's distressed.

I let her be. This is the final night that we would be a Gleis. It is funny how I lost all the will I had and just let things be. I don't have a choice, the moment that I turn my back into this hell, that will also be the time that my head will roll on the grass of this Empire.

I went out of my room and walked towards the garden, unlike the garden in Gleis, the Imperial garden had different variety of flowers but even if they are in full bloom, they all look dead to me.

The red roses dominated the left corner of the garden, they were beautiful but lifeless. I crouched down and picked one of the roses, my blood, as crimson as thy flower dripped to the dark green grass.

“I hope you're happy.” I whispered, tears started streaming down my face.

♠ ♠ ♠

All of the Imperial attendants and servants were busy, the day of my wedding has finally came.  In just a few hours, I will be forever tied in this hell hole.  I was sitting infront of this vanity for hours now, they've been preparing me for the Imperial wedding.

The room was crowded, three stylists are here and there's five more servants in the room. Even though  they chattered a lot, all I can hear was silence.

I was nothing.

I am a mere object that they should prepare for the satisfaction of the Imperial family.

After another hour, they finished putting my make-up, styling my hair and helped me wear the wedding dress. They left as soon as we finished, not minding to even talk to me.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, my white hair  were styled neatly, jewelries were used as a decorative piece in my hair. The white wedding dress suited my body perfectly. I looked so beautiful but just like the roses in the Imperial garden, I looked lifeless.

“Are you happy now?” I asked, once more.

“I—I am.”  She replied.

I did not move at all, I stayed wherever they left me. I have no energy to even walk nor stand up. I felt all the life in me slowly fading.

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts, servants dressed up in a unusual formal maid uniform opened the door.

“Lady Gleis.” She called. I understood it right away. It is time.

She escorted me to the enormous golden door of the sacred hall of the Empire. It was inside the Imperial Palace, though it can only be used for Emperor coronation, Imperial Weddings and Imperial Funeral. This is the first time for 20 years that this hall was opened.