XXXIV: The Woman in the Portrait

I was weirded out of the old man. He might look like a distinguished gentleman from a higher status family yet he gave me the creeps as he kept on looking at me from head to toes. His eyes were somehow full of longing. Az, on the otherhand tried keeping him away from me.

“No.” Az firmly said as the old man wanted to get close to me everytime. I hid behind Az, as I do not know what's the deal with this old man.

“Pardon my manners. I am Maurice, the butler of the house.” He formally introduced himself and bowed elegantly.

“I'm Serena, nice to meet you.” I introduced myself too. Az just shrugged and sat on the sofa near us. It was covered in white cloth, the dirt from Az's clothes transferred into the spotless covers.

“How many times do I have to tell you not to sit there when you are dirty?” Maurice shook his head with disappointment.  “I am sorry for this young man's behavior.” He added.

“My name is Azrael.” Az said. Maurice just looked at him. “Okay? Now get off the couch.” Maurice shooed him off the couch making Az stand beside me, his face looked amused.

“Go on and take a bath, you too Lady Selena—er Serena.” Maurice said, I did not question him as I am still exhausted from everything that I've been through. I deserve at least a comfortable and warm bath.

“I'd prepare a bath for you. Az, follow me and I'll bathe you.” Maurice said with an unamused face, wait, did he said he'll bathe Az?

“Oh, I see that you're confused. This young man right here doesn't know how to bathe himself properly, so as his guardian I am doing it.” I just nodded in response. That's pretty weird. Though I don't want to judge.

“I don't want to.” Az declined and hid behind me. Shielding himself from Maurice. “I want Rena.” he added. I just laughed tiredly, I don't have the energy to get involved in this mess. “It's fine, I'll do it.” I said, for the sake of my sanity. Maurice was hesitant at first but gave in when Az started clinging onto me for dear life. He escorted us to a regular sized bath house with hot spring inside, which is fancy for a mansion that looked abandoned. Everything in here looked squeaky clean, from the sink to the tiled floor. It is pretty cozy as the warmth radiating from the hot spring circulated throughout the room.

“Take off your clothes and wear this.” I ordered as I gave him a white towel. He followed my orders diligently and went to a small private room. He did not take too long so I made him sit on a wooden stool just beside the spring.

“You should learn how to bathe yourself.” I said while I am scrubbing his back. He has a broad and slender back and shoulders, though he has a lot of scars throughout his body. “I know how to.” He replied.

“Then why won't you do it yourself?”

“Maurice said it isn't enough.” He replied shortly. I don't want to ask anymore questions. I don't want to know anything anymore. I just focused on trying to remove all the dirt from him which was a lot.

“Aren't you going to take a bath?” He asked. I looked at him flustered. I just realized that I am inside a bath house with Az who's literally half naked.

Oh, who am I kidding?

I just slept with him fully naked not too long ago.

But still!

Az is an attractive man. I am not going to lie. He's the most beautiful man I have seen in this world and in my world. His body was like sculpted by the hands of a god himself.

I shook my head to forget the thoughts that I was just having.

“I—I will, after you.” I replied and avoided his gaze. I don't want him to know what I was thinking nor think that I am acting weird as it will be so difficult to explain to him.