XIV: The Trigger

Tomorrow came, I didn't got even a wink for a sleep. Noelle entered my room, early in the morning.

"Good Morning, My Lady. Get out of bed." She said and drew the curtains open, making the subtle shine of the morning sun reach my face.

"Can I just stay in bed today?" I asked, groggily.
She immediately went over to me and put her palm on my forehead.

"Are you, perhaps not feeling well?" She asked, her voice full of concern.

"No, not really. I just don't want to get out of bed today." I told her honestly. I can never lie to Noelle, given the fact that she panics everytime I don't feel well.

"So, you're just being lazy?" She asked. I gave her a tired smile as a response. She rolled her eyes and pulled my covers off me.

"Hey!"

"Get up, you're invited to eat breakfast with the Emperor." She said. Noelle may care for me but she is damn emotionless.

I don't have any idea how long will we stay in the palace and I don't really know why we are here in the first place.

I stood up, my body's still feeling heavy due to lack of sleep. I practically dragged myself out of bed and wash my body off. It help much, I still feel heavy and tired after that quick soak.

I went out of the wash room, Noelle helped me to dress up because there's no way in hell that I can wear that damn corset on my own. She dressed me up in a cream-colored dress. It isn't as fancy as those dresses that people here normally wear during banquets but fancy enough because I'll be in the Emperor's sight. I can't look like garbage and put the Gleis' name in vain.

She brushed my fair and braided it, accessorising my hair with flowers made of precious stones.

"You look pretty, my Lady." She said as we both stare at my reflection in the mirror, another masterpiece made by Noelle.

Derek opened my door and we walked out of the room I was in, the halls are empty. No maids are seen walking around and I found it odd. A huge place like this for sure have tons of caretakers but no one was in sight.

We walked for several minutes just to reach the dining hall. That's how enormous this place is.

"My Lady?" Noelle called.

"Hmm?"

"I've been calling you numerous times already, are you okay?" She asked, I just nodded in response. I am too exhausted and sleepy to even talk.

The knights, whose guarding the entrance of the dining hall opened the huge wooden door for us, a large dining hall welcomed us. There's a lot of chandeliers made of gold and diamonds hung on the ceiling, a red carpet on the walkway.

The long table looks so luxurious too. It's motif is white, gold and red. Even the chairs are extravagant. The table were full of numerous delicacies.

"Your mouth, my lady." Noelle whispered. I did not even notice that my mouth was agape.

"Ehem." The Emperor said. That's when I finally noticed the people present in the dining hall. The Imperial family, the Duke and Duchess of another land and their families, as well as Saoirse.

Based on the people present here, I quickly realized that this breakfast is mentioned in the books. The day Serena got the idea of being engaged with the crown prince.

So this is really an important event.

I walked closer and sat on the vacant seat in the middle of Emyr and Caspian. I felt a lot of gaze on me, especially, Zion who's beside Saoirse.