Prologue

Smoke grew and gathered into an enormous dark cloud, carrying up in the night. It grew larger and larger as the burning flames grew stronger and wild from the house. Also, the hiss echoed in the quiet night.

"What have you done!?" A man asked in shock, worry laced his voice. His eyes widen, gazing at the burning house.

Beside him stood a woman. She was wearing an oversized black heavy hoodie coat, unable to see her pale face, except for her peach lips. "What needed," she softly said, no bit of sympathy as the man beside her.

"What would I say to the elders and royals!" His voice picked up, and his breathing, "How will I explain this!" He pointed at the burning house, glaring at the woman.

She stayed quiet, keeping her gaze at the burning house. She slowly turned on her heels, facing the man. Her coat opened, revealing a black-wrapped cloth. "Here," she said, handing the wrapped material.

He hesitated to take it, "what is this?" He glanced down at the cloth and then back up the woman.

She was literally lifting her eyebrow and growled, "Here!"

He sighed quietly, hesitantly taking the wrapped cloth. As he took it into his arms, wrapped in the fabric, it was something. A baby. He glanced up at the woman. He was a shock. Confused. Why was there a baby?

"This is my Plan B," she muttered, placing her hand on the head of the baby. Rubbing gentle circles, calming the baby from waking up.

"What do you mean, this is your Plan B?" He growled.

"... You promise that you would tell no one about her, even those you believe you trust," she brushed the blanket off the baby's face, caressing her rosy cheek before leaning in and kissing her forehead. "When the mark shows, you can tell her who she is."

*~*~*

Loud Sirens echoed through the deep, dark woods. They followed the thick smoke trail until they saw a fiery red light. However, the two people who were at the scene had left.

The man from the scene was close by, though. He still held the baby given to him, walking up the stairs until he reached the front door and knocked on it. There was silence for a moment. Lights turned on as the door opened, and there stood a man. He was in his late twenties and had ebony hair and dark eyes. He looked tired and was yawning when his eyes landed on his midnight friend. His eyes suddenly widen.

"Alpha," he gasped in shock, quickly bowing his head in respect. "What a pleasing surprise. Please come in," he said, stepping aside and allowing his visitor to enter.

"Jim, who's at the—" a woman walked out into the hallway when her gaze landed on their guest. "Alpha," she gasped, suddenly bowing her head in respect.

She was in her late twenties, like her husband, her mate. She had long, curly, sandy blonde hair that reached her waist.

"If you don't mind me questioning, Alpha. Why are you here? Do you need my help?" Jim asked as his wife quietly walked towards him but stood behind him.

"I have something to give. I trust you as my loyal Beta with this," he said, stretching the wrapped-up baby towards the woman.

She glanced at her husband, hesitant about what she could do. Jim, her husband, gave her an encouraging smile and a slight nod. She stepped forward, slowly reached out and wrapped her arms around the wrapped cloth. As she brought it close to her chest, they heard soft whimpering.

Both husband and wife glanced over at each other. The pair realised the sounds were coming from something wrapped in the cloth. Jim's wife gently removed the fabric from the baby's face. The baby was awake, staring at them in awe and pouted lips. Their faces glowed in happiness and surprise.