I AM THE ALPHA KING

Nathan's POV

I watched her chest rise and fall steadily and listened to her quiet breathing fill the room.

Sigh...

I closed my eyes and leaned against my chair as my handheld Laura's chilly hand. All I could think about was all that blood Laura lost because of me. Laura has been in a coma for one month, two weeks and three days. I never left her side, only for a bit when Sean came to watch over her for me whilst Kelly forced me to eat or take a bath.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard a knock. I looked over to the door as Dr Karen walked in. She bowed in respect, "My King, the elders are calling you to the study." She said, and I glanced at Laura. I didn't want to leave her. "Don't worry, my King, I'll look after her."

I nodded, stood hesitantly, then leaned forward, kissing her forehead before walking out.

Ever since that incident, Sean hasn't been talking to me. I know it's not only that he's angry about hurting Laura but even more... I must fix everything with my mate, sister, friend and council. I rushed down to my study; I wanted to get this over and done with and be with my mate. I walked into my study, and three elders stood on their feet and bowed their heads as I walked past them to my seat. I took my seat and glanced at all of them, "Elders..." I greeted, slightly bowing my head as they took their seat.

"Luna is still in a coma?" Elder Smallwood asked, leaning back, lifting an eyebrow.

I cleared my throat, "you know her condition. I need not tell you." I said, keeping an emotionless face. Weeks after that incident, the Elders had been on my neck about my irresponsibility. "Is there something you all want to say?"

Elder Wood sighed, "Alpha... It has been a month since your mate has been in a coma.... because of your carelessness, your people are now questioning if you found your mate or not." He said, leaning forward a bit.

"Also, some packs are wondering... Well, fearing about the Lycan Brothers, who vanished. Do you know your work as an Alpha King is to keep order and protection for your people?" Elder Stone lifted an eyebrow.

"... Or maybe it was a mistake having you as King after your father's death?" Elder Smallwood said calmly, "Maybe we should have had your mother take over until we know you're ready!"

How dare they insult me!? To my face!?

I growled loud enough for them to hear my rage. I should be with Laura than listening to these old men about my father and my duty as KING! Slowly, I stood clenching my fist onto my desk, glaring burning daggers at them. I don't care if they are the royal elders; I must respect them. But I AM the Alpha King! And they need to respect ME!

Suddenly, the doors opened, and Alpha Jay walked with a book. He bowed his head, "Alpha King... Elders." He said as he looked up.

"What do you want, Alpha Jay?" Elder Wood asked, glancing over his shoulder.

Alpha Jay cleared his throat and lifted his gaze to me, "I received a call from a mister Sean concerning my own, Laura." He said, narrowing his gaze at me before taking a few steps forward. "I'm surprised I haven't heard about her condition until now..."

I stayed silent, but Elder Smallwood had to open his enormous mouth, "the matter did not concern you because she is the Alpha King's mate, and she is now part of the family."

Alpha Jay sneered at Elder Smallwood, "If the moon goddess says I shouldn't protect her, then... I'll still do what I can for her." He lifted the book and glanced at me, "this contains the information you may need to wake her up."

I walked around my desk, approaching Alpha Jay, "thank you, Alpha Jay." I said slightly, bowing a sign of appreciation before taking the book. "I'll have my medical team look at it."

He leaned in and lowered his voice, " I am the only one who can hear "If she dies, you'll follow." He stepped back and bowed before walking away.

I took a deep breath as I was about to walk out. Elder Smallwood muttered disgustingly, "You're not fit to be King..."

I stopped, "if you don't like that, get out." I commented before heading back to the infirmary. Hopefully, this information in this book will illuminate the situation.

I don't care what the Elders think; I was born to lead. I am an Alpha—an Alpha King. The moon goddess gave me this title, and I vowed to protect my people. She blessed me with Laura, and I will never give up on her. She's my mate, and I'll stop at nothing to ensure she's awake and safe.