Alpha Vs. Beta

Laura's POV

The ride home was quiet and tense. All I could think about was my brother's life and Chloe.

Oh, Chloe...

She would lose a mate if I hadn't time to stop the fight. Her true love. It would hurt her more than it would hurt me. "Laura, relax," Reed said. "The fight might not have started. We may have a better chance of stopping it."

"Yeah, L," Reef said, glancing over his shoulder. "Relax." He turned to gaze back onto the road. I took a deep breath and leaned back, looking out the window. I sat at the back with Reed, and Reef sat in front with the driver. I hope I get there in time and Nate won't worry about me. But I believe Nate can feel what I'm feeling right now through our mate bond.

Finally, the car parked in front of the pack house, where I spotted Chloe seated on the steps. I jumped out of the car and ran to her. "Chloe!" I called out, and she snapped her head up.

"Laura!" She cried, jumping onto her feet. I hugged her as she called, "I-I-I just can't... Watch."

I pulled out of our hug, "has it started?" I asked, furrowing my brows in worry. She nodded her head 'yes' and pulled her back into an embrace.

"I don't want to... Lose him!" She cried on my shoulder. "I-if it wasn't for that... Jerk! It wouldn't have started..."

"What happened?" I quietly asked.

Her sobs became louder, "h-he... I was trying to... Force himself onto me!" My heart broke at this, and I tightened my embrace.

I knew Daniel was a colossal jerk, but this was... A low blow. How could he think of doing this to his beta's mate? I pulled out of our embrace and ran in, ignoring the crying calls from Chloe. I was feeling rage within me. I ran straight to the back of the house, where a crowd surrounded the two in the middle. I heard grunts, growls and cracking, followed by the smell of... Blood.

As I was about to push my way through, muscular arms wrapped around my waist. I started trashing and struggling out of this grip. "STOP! I NEED TO SAVE MY BROTHER!" I yelled, snuggling, but he pulled me close to his chest.

"Laura, you can't stop it!" I heard Nate's husky, deep voice. "It is a challenge between Alpha and Beta." I witnessed the fight as Daniel swung a fist at Pete and went down.

Thump!

That sound made my heart skip, and fear rise as I watched Dan chuckle evilly. He glanced up, and our eyes met, and all I saw was pure evil before he kicked Pete. I screamed, trying to get out of Nate's grip. "Laura, stop!" Nate growled, tightening his hold on me. "There's nothing you can do but watch," I cried out as I heard Pete's groans of pain.

I stood still and stared at bloodied Pete, who was coughing out blood. I wanted to protect him like he did for me. I tried to stop the pain like he took for me. I wanted to save him.

As Dan spat at him, he turned on his heels and lifted his arms in victory. Everyone stared at him in fear, hatred and disgust. I heard cries from Mom, who stood at the back of the crowd as Dad held her tight. From a distance, I heard Chloe's wails of pain. As mates, you can feel if your mate gets injured or in pain. And now Chloe feels pain.

Suddenly, there was a low growl, and we snapped our heads to Pete. His eyes were golden yellow and full of anger as he pushed himself up, glaring up at Dan. Dan smirked, "I didn't like you, anyway." He said, glaring down at Pete. "I'll enjoy killing you... Maybe even your mate, too, just to put her out of her misery."

I growled at his insults. How can he be this heartless and mean? No one in my family did anything to him!? Next thing we knew, Pete let out a roar and attacked Dan with a punch or two. Dan lifted his forearm to block the attack, but Pete grabbed his forearm and twisted it, drawing out blood and a howl of pain out of Dan. He kicked Dan's knee with full force, and a crack of bones echoed. By the sounds of things, I felt like it was happening to me.

Pete's free hand threw a fist straight into Daniel's chest, and everyone gasped, including Dan. "Never will we deal with your cruelty anymore," Pete growled, twisting his hand in Daniel's chest. I gripped Nate's arms as I witnessed this gruesome event. Within a blink of an eye, Pete pulled out Daniel's heart and howled in victory.

Everyone howled and bowed their head regarding their new Alpha. There was happiness and relief all around as they all crowded on Pete. They were thanking him and praising him.

Thump!

Suddenly, Pete collapsed, and Nate's arms dropped, giving me a chance to run towards my fallen brother.

"Pete!"

*~*~*

Nathan's POV

I watched my beautiful mate cuddling close to my chest. I never want to take my eyes off her. "How is she?" I glanced up at Jay, who just walked into the waiting room.

We were waiting to hear about Pete; however, it took almost the entire night. That's why Laura fell asleep. "Shaken, but okay," I said, "how about you?" I asked awkwardly.

He sighed, taking a sit across from me. "I saw this coming," he said with a smirk. "I never really liked him," he chuckled. "Imagine... A father disliking his own son." He stared at Laura, fatherly.

"Did you?"

He chuckled, "I fell in love with the goddess." He sighed, "She pushed me to my mate, but I knew she loved me as I did to her."

"So are you Laura's... Father?" He glanced at me and shook his head 'no'. "Do you know who her father is?" He shook his head again. 'no,' but his eyes told me something else. He knew who was her father.

Suddenly, Jim, Laura's dad, walked in and stumbled upon our awkward silence. He sadly smiled over to Jay, afraid to say a word. His son killed his son. "Huh, Nathan, we're leaving, but Chloe said she was staying." He said, "Jay, sorry about... Daniel."

Jay nods his head, "It's okay. The Mrs and I plan on travelling to her old pack in Europe."

"You're leaving?" I asked, furrowing my brows in confusion. I thought he would stay for help.

He nodded again before standing, "I may find someone to help you, especially Laura, with this." He smiled, "I think I should take my leave. Good night and goodbye." He bowed his head and walked out.

I stood steadily, trying not to wake my beloved, and carefully carried her bridal style. Jim led the way out of the infirmary with me trailing behind him. We found Sam, Laura's mother, inside the car. In total silence, we drove to Laura's childhood home. It was too late for us to go back home, but I knew Laura would want to check on her brother.

"You'll be sleeping in Laura's old room," Sam said as we walked out. Once we entered the house, Sam showed me to Laura's room. We said 'good night', and I tracked in my mate before slipping in and drifting off to sleep.

*~*~*

" They were the first, and they were last.

They were the dominant beasts that ruled with an iron fist!

They will rise once more.

But by the one born with the mark will rise a perfect wolf..."

I flickered my eyes open, hearing soft murmuring next to me. It was Laura, but she was fast asleep.

" They were the first, and they were last.

They were the dominant beasts that ruled with an iron fist!

They will rise once more.

But by the one born with the mark will rise a perfect wolf..." She murmured again, stirring in her sleep. "They were the first, but we are the beginning.

Derek the Great ruled in cruelty.

Lycans shall rise again.

And I am the marked one who will rise a pure wolf."

I furrowed, "Laura dear?" I muttered.

She jerked awake, but she looked as though she was still asleep. She slowly stood up, walking out with me following behind her. When we reached the kitchen, I found Laura digging into an ice cream container.

"Love?"

She snapped her head at me and grinned, "I felt like having something cold and sweet." She said, "Want some?"