Close But Far Apart

Laura's POV

Finally, I left the infirmary after a week of staying in bed, but I was told I needed more bed rest doctor's orders. It was annoying and boring. Luckily, I had company-overprotective Sean and very concerned Kelly. Nate never came to check on me except during the night. When I'm asleep, sometimes, I am sleeping, but I would pretend. My heart ached to hear him blame himself and how sorry he was.

Sometimes, I wanted to open my eyes and tell him I forgave him. But I was still afraid that he might not control his Wolf. "Okay, Princess, time to get out of bed," Dr Karen said, smiling warmly as she entered. I like Dr Karen; she was friendly and free-spirited. She told me about Nate and how he stayed by my bedside. "Happy to be out?" She asked, pulling the bedcovers off me.

"Excited!" I exclaimed, swigging my legs to the edge.

She chuckled softly, "Remember... Take it easy." She grabbed my forearm gently, helping me onto my feet. "Now, just take a bath. Everything you need is there. Someone will be here to take you to your chambers."

My knees buckled. Luckily, I didn't fall, "do you think Nate will wait for me?" I asked nervously.

She shrugged her shoulder and smiled warmly, "I don't know, dear." She softly muttered.

I sighed softly, forcing a smile. It hurts to know your mate was trying to avoid you because he thinks you're afraid of him... I'm not sure.

Am I still afraid of him?

Dr Karen helped me into the bathroom, showed me how to work out the shower and told me to call if I needed help. Once she was out, my mind drifted off to Nate. What was he occupying himself with? Was he afraid that he would hurt me again? Was he full of guilt? Or something else...

I did my stuff and changed into a simple lime green dress. I walked out, and to my surprise, Sean and Kelly was waiting for me. Seeing my friends here for me, I felt a spark of happiness, but... I was missing someone. Nate.

Kelly squealed, running towards me with her arms opened wide. "Laura, you're finally out of here! How are you feeling?" She said, pulling me into a tight hug.

I gasped, feeling the air being squeezed out, "great!" I sighed in relief when she released me.

I glanced at Sean, who was coming close for a gentler hug. "It's a marvellous thing you're feeling great." He said, "Now, let's get out of here!" He chuckled, pulling away. Kelly linked her arm with mine while Sean led the way ahead of us. We sauntered for my case while Kelly talked about things I'd missed. Also, what I'll be up to once I'm fully recovered.

Finally, we reached a familiar hallway heading to Nate's or our room. Suddenly, the doors opened, and Nate walked out with Luna Queen Elizabeth and Elder Smallwood following. "We'll have a white and gold-themed ceremony. I'll get invitations, food, dress and decoration ready within two weeks," Luna Queen Elizabeth said, scrolling down her iPad. "We mustn't miss this full moon."

She must have discussed my introduction as Nate's mate and the new Luna Queen ceremony. We hadn't done it since the whole kidnapping, and then there were two months of coma. This time, we need to get this over and done with. "We've been receiving multiple reports about rogue attack sightings of the Lycan brothers near Solar pack. Also, you need to send some protection to the attacked and weak packs," Elder Smallwood said something else.

Both Queen Elizabeth and Elder Smallwood were hot on Nate's tail. He glanced up at me and stopped, as did Queen Elizabeth and Elder Smallwood. They both glanced over at me. There was total silence until Elder Smallwood spoke up, "Laura!" He smiled, then bowed, "finally, well enough to walk? It's a wonderful thing cause you have two weeks to prepare for your introduction ceremony."

"But first, Nate and I must discuss the ceremony, then maybe you and I shall add some finishing touches," Queen Elizabeth said smugly. "Now is not the time for chitchat," she grabbed Nate's arm. "You have a lot to do, now come."

Nate kept his gaze on me as his mother pulled away from him, followed by Elder Smallwood. He didn't say a word, but his eyes held all his feelings: hurt, worry and stress. Once they disappeared, Kelly sadly said, "You have to forgive him, guys." She glanced between Sean and me; she was sorry for Nate, and I could see it. She was begging for her big brother.

I looked up at Sean, who had an emotionless face, "you're angry at him, ain't you?" I asked him, snapping his head at me, and there was a slight hint of anger and pain. "Forgive him, Sean. You're best friends!"

"You're also my friend, and I'll forgive him once you have," he said with a straight face before opening the door for Kelly and me.

"I have forgiven him!" I exclaimed, glancing at Kelly for support.

She sighed, "Nate knew you were pretending to be asleep when he came to your room, asking forgiveness, but you continued to pretend to be asleep." I lowered my head and bit my lip, "you could've opened my eyes and talked to him."

I thought pretending to be asleep would not scare Nate away. I wanted him to be beside me.

"I just didn't want to scare him away. Maybe I can clear the tension between the two of us. I don't know what to say," I nervously said. I noticed Sean and Kelly exchanging a concerned look at each other. "What is it?" I asked.

"Nate asked the servants to prepare a guest room for him," Sean said. "He is trying to give you space."

Suddenly, a complete load of guilt flooded through me. I was hurting Nate more than he hurt me.

"I think you should talk to him before the ceremony," Sean added.

"Yea... Besides, you both need each other's marks for the introduction ceremony," Kelly smiled slightly. "Maybe you can try to get his attention."

Knock

Knock

Knock

As a servant walked through the crack, we snapped heads towards the door. "Luna Laura, Princess Kelly, Master Sean... You have a visitor." She said. We furrowed our brows in confusion as she opened the door wide.

My mouth gaped in shock. I never thought I would see this person ever again, but here the person was... Tracy.