Chapter 20: Cooking

Suddenly she wiped her tears, "No, they are not worth me crying for them, this should be the last time I cry for my past life. Everything was my fault. But in this life, I will not make those mistakes. This time I will protect them. I will not let anything happen to them. Never."

To calm down she decided to go out and busy herself with something.

She decided to go to the kitchen and cook some food to store for later.

She first made rice. After washing the rice and adding water she left the rice to cook.

She then moved to making steamed buns. She decided to make the simplest steamed buns first.

She likes to prepare all the ingredients that need to be prepared first before cooking.

She is going to be making 100 medium-sized steamed buns. She first mixed two and a half kg of all-purpose flour with 500 g of wheat starch, which will be used to make the dough, thirty-three grams of yeast, 500 g of sugar, cooking oil, four teaspoons salt and 1500 ml of cold milk.

For making the dough she used a stand mixer. She placed the flour and starch combination, instant yeast, sugar, and salt, in a mixing bowl and stirred to combine. Added milk and oil in a mixing bowl, add water accordingly, and put it in the mixer.

Turned on the mixer at the lowest speed to prevent flour from flying all over the place. Continued to knead at low speed until the dough is smooth, silky and elastic.

Until then, her rice was also prepared. She directly put it in the static space and continued making the steamed buns.

Bai Yue then divided the dough into equal portions. Flattened and gathered the edge to round them up into dough balls. Covered and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.

Until then Bai Yue prepared her fillings. She hand-chopped the meat using just a cutting board and a cleaver according to the way her mother had taught her.

She added the ground meat to a large mixing bowl and stirred in a very small amount of water until well incorporated.

Now she preheated a cast iron pan until it started to smoke lightly. Added in some oil, along with the minced ginger and diced onion. Cooked over medium heat until the onions softened.

Added in the ground pork and turned up the heat, stirring to break up any large chunks. Cooked it until all the pork turns pale and opaque.

Added wine, dark soy sauce, sweet bean sauce, ground bean sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, white pepper, and sesame oil. With the heat on high, stir everything together until well combined.

Cooked for a couple of more minutes to cook off any remaining liquid. Stir in the cornstarch and water mixture, allowing everything to bubble together for a minute. Turn off the heat and let the filling cool uncovered.

After that, she lightly dusted the work surface with some flour. Flattened the dough with her palm and then used a rolling pin to roll it out to form a circle about 4-5 inches, with a slightly thicker middle part.

Then she placed the filling at the centre and then gathered the sides to enclose the bun and pinched them to seal. Flipped the bun so that the seam side is down now.

She cupped the dough with both palms and moved the dough in a circular motion to shape it taller.

She repeated with the rest of the dough. Covered them with a clean kitchen towel and proceeded to proof.

She let the dough rise at room temperature. The space has the perfect temperature all the time. But she can adjust it as she wants.

She filled up the steamer with water but did not turn on the stove yet. She carefully arranged the proofed buns in the steamer, giving about 2 inches of space in between as they will expand quite a bit.

She put the dough in batches, hence she wrapped the rest in a plastic wrap and placed them in the refrigerator so as not to overproof them.

When the water came to a simmer, Bai Yue cracked the lid open about a 1/2-inch gap and started the timer. Steamed with the lid cracked open like that for 10 minutes. She let the buns sit there for 3 minutes.

Bai Yue proceeded with the next batch and steamed with the same method.

After she had cooked all the steamed buns, she put them together with the rice.

She then left her space and looked at the time. It has only been about 2 minutes outside because of the time difference in the space.

Thinking about the usual time of daybreak, Bai Yue sighed. Ah, it's going to be a long night.

On still feeling a little anxious inexplicably, she decided to go for a walk in the park.

She quietly left her house and went to the park.

The place where they live is a community with the highest security. This is the place where all the major families reside. This community also have a very high historical value, with a history of at least 100 years.

This place has the latest technology with security. Even without security guards, this place is still as safe as a fort. It has a structure that is good for defence but hard to attack. So Bai Yue and her family never thought of leaving this community and wasting time going to another place and waiting for the end of the world there.

So Bai Yu went for a walk on the sidewalk until the entrance of the park, walking in a daze looking down at her feet with her headphones on, and music playing in it.

Suddenly, she bumped into someone and her headphones fell.

Knowing it was her mistake for not looking at the road, she quickly bent down to pick up her headphones while apologizing to the person whom she bumped into.

"I am so sorry, I wasn't looking at the road and bumped in-"

She abruptly stopped what she was saying on seeing the person in front of her...

"Why are you here?"