Part 6

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

Rose Djallen waved goodbye to her driver and entered the grounds of Madam Georgia's school for girls. She was nine years old, and her perfectly coiffed blonde hair framed her perfect blue eyes, just as her award-winning beautician had suggested. As the daughter of a billionaire fusion magnate, with millions of followers throughout the galaxy, she had to look her best.

Memories of a private summer vacation spent visiting historical sites on Earth and Mars faded. Friends from across the galaxy had joined her, and they had all agreed they would enjoy a short break from public attention, before returning to their elite social circles.

Now back in Caldera's capital, Rackeye, Rose welcomed the classmates who flocked to her side with the practiced good manners that were the hallmark of the Helvetic aristocracy.

"Gaella, it's so good to see you!" she cooed as her red-haired friend twirled, and flashed her a sunbeam smile. Rose's eyes widened as she inspected the handbag Gaella was holding. "Is that a Stravelli? It's so beautiful."

"Got it for my birthday," Gaella said. "Signed by the artisan himself. Are you jealous?"

"God, yes!" They laughed as the rest of the mob craned their necks to see the coveted object.

"Is it true you met an Academy graduate on your holiday?" Gaella asked.

Rose froze, but her smile didn't waver. "I... why yes, I did. How did you hear about that? We all swore not to post anything."

"Oh, please, Rose," Lunette, a tall brunette at Gaella's side, said. "As if anything in your life can stay private for long. There are rumors all over the feeds." She lightly prodded Rose's arm. "Tell us everything."

"Well... nothing special happened, to be honest," Rose said. "The graduate was very nice, and fun to hang out with."

She tried to ignore the knot in her stomach. One of her holiday friends had obviously betrayed the vow, though Rose doubted she would ever find out who. Of course, nothing in her life could ever be just for her—it had been stupid to think otherwise. She started to walk towards the school building, now eager to get inside and settle into her dorm room.

Gaella grabbed her arm as she chattered on. "I can't imagine an Academy woman being ordinary," she said. "Only a handful of girls throughout the galaxy are even invited to take the entrance test, and out of them, it's only, what, one in ten who pass? And nobody knows what the graduates do after that because it's all such a big secret. So, what did you learn?"

"My mother says that they're spies for the League," Lunette said.

Rose shook her head. "The graduate didn't tell us any secrets," she said, "and it's actually one in twenty. I suppose she was a bit... intense. She was very good at sports, had a lot of hobbies, and I don't think she ever got tired or bored."

Gaella's face took on a pleading expression. "You will invite us next time, won't you?"

Rose stopped dead and turned to face her, a huge grin on her face. "Oh, I just remembered! Aren't you joining our dance troop this year?"

"Oh yes." Gaella smiled and nodded. "But only in the corps de ballet. I'm not at all good enough for a main role."

"That's nonsense," Rose said, and squeezed her arm encouragingly. "You're so graceful. I know you'll move up a rank in no time."

"Rose, are you really going to be the principal dancer?" Lunette cut in.

Gaella scowled at the interruption.