Part 44

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

A cadre member pushed a button at the back of the aircraft, lowering the cargo ramp to reveal the screaming void beyond. Inside the plane, a dozen pairs of anxious eyes looked out.

"Okay ladies, this is your final exercise," shouted the cadre over the roaring engines. "If you do not die, you will graduate from Ranger School and be posted to a real unit to begin operations in the field."

The combat exercises had ended, and the Rangers finished the last week of Maneuver Phase in the classroom, discussing the theory of maneuver warfare. That morning, they had been dragged out of their bunks at dawn, told to dress in basic PT clothes, and were then driven to an airfield.

An instructor handed each of them plastic-wrapped maps of the region, which they were to secure to their wrists with a cord loop. Then they were ushered onto an aircraft, while planes carrying groups of Rangers raced down the landing strip, climbing away and heading in different directions over the hills of Tyr. Tired, confused, and nervous, Kayla exchanged glances and shrugs with the others. Eventually, the engines of their own transport started up, and they were airborne.

Now, after less than an hour of flying, the girls had no idea where they were, or what new ordeal was in store for them.

"In this organization," the cadre yelled over the background noise, "we believe personal experience is the best teacher. You have gotten to know your enhanced bodies, but you need one final lesson to underscore how tough you can be. We are now approximately one hundred miles from Tent City at one thousand feet in altitude." She grinned. "Your objective is simple; when instructed, you will exit this aircraft, and navigate your way back to the camp. Should take you about two to three days."

"Where are the parachutes?" Kayla asked. She hadn't seen any on board, and was praying they had been stored out of sight.

"You don't need one," the cadre said. "Your bodies can survive the fall."

The Rangers stared back in shocked disbelief.

"Oh, Lord!" said Thandi. "I knew there was a reason I was afraid of heights! God was trying to tell me something."

"Congratulations," said the instructor. "Because in about thirty seconds, you will be cured of your fear!"

"You did the airborne training," said Kayla encouragingly.

Thandi was growing pale. "That was completely different!" she snapped.

Rose grabbed her by the shoulders. "Come on, Thandi, we can do this. You and me—we'll go together. Remember your breathing, right?"

Kayla walked up to the ramp and looked out at the world below. The trees and lakes looked small and fragile, and for a moment she imagined she could step out and float across the toy landscape. Suddenly, terror jolted her consciousness like a shock of electricity. She looked up at the cadre, hoping to see a wink, or some other sign that the whole thing was a joke.

"Once you get down, you'll be in bad shape," the woman said grimly, "but you'll heal quickly, and it will be the best high you've ever experienced. Believe me."

Kayla blinked. She felt too dizzy to respond. Was the whole thing a nightmare? Was she really going to jump? Was the whole organization actually insane?

The cadre nodded to her to go.

Thandi, Christie, Rose, and the rest of the Rangers were lining up behind her, eyes wide as saucers. With nothing but unintelligent gibbering coming from her rational mind, Kayla settled for not thinking at all. Inhaling slowly, she stepped down the ramp and leaped into the void.