Part 28

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

The next morning, Kayla followed the other recruits to the parade ground for their usual PT session, a flutter of excitement in her chest. At least she would get the satisfaction of watching the Princess get humbled.

Once the class was in formation, instructor Susaki addressed them. "As you know, Recruit Djallen has the strongest PT scores of all of you, and we would like to make a special recognition of that fact. Recruit, step forward."

Kayla had learned that getting any kind of attention from an instructor was bad news. A curt nod conveyed respect, while a terse conversation meant a recruit was doing poorly. She saw that Rose looked ill with apprehension as she walked to the front of the group.

"Recruit Djallen," Susaki continued, "since you are our star performer, I would like you to show the class the correct pushup form. Please assume the position."

Rose got down on her hands and knees.

"Take your weight."

She raised her back into a clean line, and her arms stiffened with tension.

Kayla grudgingly admitted that she was certainly fit, as her body was steady in the tense position. For the moment, anyway.

"Now class," Susaki said as she pointed to Rose, "please observe how the correct form places tension not only on the arms but also on the abdominal and the back muscles. You may not have realized it, but this posture is fundamental to a correct pushup maneuver. Indeed, when we study the dorsal anatomy of the human body..."

Susaki continued on an extensive discourse into human physiology, quoting textbooks and citing studies. It seemed she could carry on forever, reciting a full PhD thesis about pushups, while Rose's arms began shaking.

Still, the instructor did not stop, but Kayla knew from experience she would be watching from the corner of her eye. When they looked away was when they watched you the closest. Kayla smirked. Rose was finally reaping her karma.

Rose's back began to droop.

Susaki whirled around immediately. "Recruit? Did I say you could relax?"

"No instructor," Rose gasped.

"I can't instruct the class on pushups if you won't hold the correct position."

"No instructor."

"Back into position then," Susaki said, and turned back to the recruits to resume her speech.

The other instructors stood to one side with amused expressions as Rose struggled to maintain the correct position. Her arms had to be in immense pain by now, and she was flushing red, gasping for breath, and sweating. Susaki continued her speech until Rose collapsed on the ground. She tried to get up, but her arms gave out again.

Susaki ignored her. "It appears that I no longer have a subject to demonstrate the correct form," she said. "Fortunately, I have always found personal experience to be the best teacher. Recruits, you will immediately adopt the correct pushup position and hold it. Ready—into position!"

Dread flooded Kayla's mind as she got down on her hands and knees. She had been foolish to think the punishment would be so simple.

"Good work, recruits," Susaki said. "Now, as I was saying, it was around 1836 that the famed body builder Max Kleiber, in his seminal thesis on animal energetics, postulated..."

As she continued, the other instructors moved in. After a few more postulates on physiology, Kayla felt her arms begin to burn, and she saw Christie's back droop.