Part 16

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

The next morning, even though she was tired from staying up late to talk with her new friend, Kayla was eager to grab some food and meet Urtiga. The canteen was mostly empty when they went down for breakfast and joined the short buffet line. Thandi was evidently also impatient to get started, as she began tapping her feet and exhaling sharply while they waited. A girl ahead of them apparently could not decide what she wanted to eat.

"Hey, so take your time," Thandi said finally. "It's not like the rest of us have plans."

The girl swiped her blonde hair back behind her ear. "I'm just not sure if I feel like scrambled eggs or fried," she said. "And if you're up this early, you've probably decided to join the organization, so I actually don't think your plans for today are that important."

Kayla recognized the English accent from the transport. She jumped in front of the furious looking Thandi. "Christie, right? It's Kayla. Remember, we met on the shuttle?"

Christie examined her. "Ah yes, the finger drummer."

Kayla ignored the comment and smiled politely. "This is Thandi, and we're both keen to join Valkyrie. Since you're also up early, I guess that means you have the same idea? You should come with us—we're going to hang out with one of the soldiers."

Thandi's eyes narrowed, and she frowned at Kayla.

Christie appeared to consider the suggestion. "Right. Get the 'boots on the ground' experience, as it were. I suppose that sounds interesting."

"Do you suppose you can tolerate our company all day?" Thandi cut in, not bothering to hide her irritation.

Christie ignored her and turned back to the buffet.

Thandi grabbed a plate and dropped it onto Christie's tray. "There you go—scrambled eggs. Okay move on, let's go."

The trio found an empty table, and Kayla wondered if she'd taken Urtiga's advice too far. Just because someone kept to themselves didn't mean they weren't as elitist as other Helvets. "Where did you go to school Christie?" she asked, as she set her tray down.

"Earth. Cambridge, if you must know."

"My ancestors killed a bunch of your ancestors, you know," Thandi said with evident pride.

Christie peered intently at her. "I'm afraid that's casting rather a wide net. Who are your ancestors?"

"The Zulu people."

"Right. You're referring to the Anglo-Zulu war of 1879, presumably. I see. Well, it's a fresh wound, but I'll try to get past it." She swallowed a forkful of egg and made a face.

'Why did you invite her?' Thandi mouthed, as Christie turned to reach for a pot of salt on a nearby table.

Kayla shrugged, but she couldn't voice what she was really thinking. Why would someone so stuck up want to join Valkyrie, much less agree to spend the day with her?

She turned back to Christie. "So, you're a Helvet, right?"

Christie looked up from her food in confusion. "Am I? What does that even mean?"

"Um... well, I'm a colonist. From Caldera," Kayla said, as she prepared herself for a contemptuous response.

"And do you think that Earthers have dark little sewing circles where we discuss how to oppress people like you?" Christie asked.