Part 70

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

The final hike to their position overlooking the valley and cave entrance went by quickly for Tiger One. They were already on a spur connecting to the valley's main ridgeline, and after some careful observation of their distant overwatch site, they practically sprinted the distance, managing seven miles in less than two hours.

Several hundred yards away they stopped for more observation before creeping slowly across the remaining distance, all the while scanning for signs of a lookout post. Finally, once they were sure they were alone, they belly-crawled onto the crest of the ridge overlooking the valley.

Kayla could not make out the doorway that would lead them inside, and her suit's communication issues kept her from seeing any of the team's navigation data. Fortunately, Masey was able to dump an extract onto a datacard which Kayla slotted into her helmet. The relevant positions lit up yellow on the vizor's heads up displays. A small icon appeared on the far side of the valley, and Kayla scanned the area carefully, looking for anything unusual.

"Tiger Three, be advised, I see an OP close to your overwatch position," Gucci called over the radio, as she peered intently through her rifle's powerful scope. "Counting three targets with small arms."

Kayla tensed—the enemy really was out there watching for them. Suddenly, the imminence of combat became so much more real. As she stared into the valley, she saw another group of men down amongst the boulders, armed with rifles, and patrolling near a fissure in the rock. The only entrance, according to her display, to their objective.

"Night-vision, short range radios," Gucci announced softly as she studied their enemy. "Not incredibly well equipped."

"See any of those mutated drones?" Masey asked.

"Zero. They're probably holding them back inside."

"Maybe they aren't that easy to control?"

"Possible," Gucci said, curtly.

Nobody wanted to make any assumptions.

Another enemy position was located, and Urtiga began to get frustrated. Every second lost meant less time under the precious cover of darkness for the Rangers. The men might have night-vision, but it would be inferior to Valkyrie's more sophisticated devices, giving them the advantage.

Finally, the Raiders were comfortable they had accounted for all the enemy soldiers in the valley, and all the teams managed to settle into their positions.

"All call-signs, Tiger passes 'Guardian'," Urtiga announced to the radio—the signal to commence the assault.

Masey grabbed Kayla's arm. "Time to get your game face on, rookie."

Thandi's tense reverie was shattered when speakers in her helmet, and in the dropship, blared "Guardian, Guardian, Guardian!"

Rangers stowed their headphones or other distractions. Lieutenant Akane, followed closely by Sergeant Reyes, bounded up the ramp and took their seats, plugging into the dropship's internal comms, while the engines whined with power. The ramp doors closed, and Thandi felt the sensation of movement. The hangar bay vanished from the portholes, replaced with starry blackness.

As she scanned the faces of her platoon, Thandi saw only calm focus. When Reyes caught her eye, the sergeant winked. Her face barely hid an expression of pure joy.

A violent jolt shook the vessel as the engines fired a de-orbit burn, and the Titan dropships began descending to the limits of Caldera's atmosphere.

"Ten minutes!" came the callout, and Thandi was crushed into her seat by a sickening jolt of deceleration as the Titans levelled out on their final approach paths.