Part 51

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

They figured out how to order takeout, deciding to keep it simple with burgers and fries, which mercifully arrived quickly. Once they re-emerged, the hungry Rangers wolfed down the food in minutes, and passed the newcomers a couple of beers.

"That's Lyna," Ash said. "This is Bibi, and then there's Tian, Yak, and Ray. Kes is your squad leader. You will refer to her as Corporal Rudaski until we decide otherwise."

"I'm Thandi, this is Kayla."

Ash smiled. "Tina and Kate, got it. Don't panic, you've got a long way to go yet. Where're you from?"

Kayla felt a nudge from Thandi under the tabletop. Maybe she was being too shy? "Caldera," she said.

"Colonist?" Ash asked.

Kayla nodded and couldn't stop herself from tensing. The year she had spent in training with the other new Rangers had made her more comfortable about her background, but the expectation of snobbery never left.

"Oh cool, you might actually be useful then. And you?"

"Intaba," Thandi said.

"What were you doing when the Organization picked you up?"

"I was boxing."

Ash sat up, with an expression of interest. "Pro or Amateur?"

"I was teen fly-weight champion."

Kes chuckled. "Ash, is it possible that we have actually been sent two interesting human beings?"

"I dunno Kes, beauty is only skin deep." Ash nodded to Kayla. "Any idea where you want to specialize?"

"Special Mission Unit, probably," Kayla admitted, and felt foolish. In this company she might as well have said that she wanted to be a billionaire, or a planet's president.

Thandi shrugged. "Probably the same."

Ash raised an eyebrow. "And what do you two newbies know about tier one?"

"We hung out with Urtiga a bit," Kayla said.

"Kes, these bitches are cooler than we are!" complained Ash.

Kayla bit her tongue and wished she could take it back. She hadn't realized it with Eliane, but she was so nervous she was name dropping for credibility. How would Urtiga react if she found out? She was dimly aware that she was making a relatively good impression on the squad, but the constant storm of anxiety only made her fixate on every mistake she made.

Kes was not impressed. "Hmm... we'll see about that. This is a warrior squad, girls. No one cares who your friends are—we expect you to work for a living."

The Ranger named Ray yowled like a big cat, while the others laughed.

"So we expect a lot from you," Kes continued. "Work hard, pay attention, and we'll get along just fine. See all the mud we brought into the hallway? I want that cleaned up by the morning. Then we'll head down to supply and get you kitted out."

"You need to do suit orientation too," Ash interjected.

"Yeah—on top of the other crap I have to do." Kes nodded to Kayla and Thandi. "See to it that we don't have to waste time showing you anything twice."

"Kes, I can do the suits, I have time," offered Ray.

Kes smiled appreciatively. "Cool, thanks Ray. That sure makes my life easier. Alright—I'm completely drained—I'm heading to bed. Any questions, you two?"