Part 25

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

Kayla looked around and saw Rose and her group emerging from the treeline, evidently heading to the same checkpoint. They stopped to inspect their map, and as they stared at it in confusion, an instructor approached them. After some deliberation, the words "Pull your head out of your ass!" drifted by on the warm air.

"Oh, hell," Kayla moaned. "You know, all the girls in her clique give me the cold shoulder. I'm pretty sure she's been telling stories about me."

Thandi nodded. "She's telling people that you spied on her when she was changing at her dance classes."

"Wha—" Kayla looked around suspiciously. "When were you going to tell me that?"

"Just now."

"Awesome, thanks... anyway, I wouldn't even have been allowed into the building for God's sake."

"Watch your language, please," Thandi cautioned.

"Oh, give it a rest, won't you?"

They watched as the rival group flopped down a short distance away, while Rose moved alone to a copse of trees.

"It's so on," Kayla declared, tiredness forgotten as she staggered to her feet.

Rose never heard a thing as she relieved herself in the undergrowth. Kayla crept up behind a tree, and as Rose walked back, she popped out right in front of her. Rose yelped with fright.

Kayla enjoyed the genuine moment of fear she had provoked. She adopted the creepiest expression she could manage and spoke in a monotone voice. "What's the matter, Rose? Aren't you happy to see me?"

"God, Kayla!" Rose yelled. "Just...screw you okay, that wasn't funny!"

Others from the group walked over to see what was happening.

"I just want to be with you, Rose. Wherever you go. I like watching you," Kayla continued as she stared without blinking.

"Yeah, whatever," Rose grunted as she shoved past her.

Kayla doubled over with laughter. "Had you worried there for a moment," she called once the buzz passed.

"You are crazy Kayla, how you say... stalker," said a member of Rose's group, in a thick French accent.

"She's not crazy, Brielle," Thandi cut in, a smirk on her lips, "and you are a dumbass."

The instructors watched from a distance, stone-faced and silent as they usually were during break times.

Rose stomped back towards Kayla, a furious expression on her face. "Isn't it typical of you to be so childish?" she snapped. "We're trying to take this training seriously, and all you can do is joke around."

"Uh-huh, and lying about fellow recruits is taking things seriously?" Kayla fired back.

Rose flushed red. "Well, there was that time in school when you burst in—"

"I was running from the janitor! Why do you think everything is about you?"

"Of course, always causing trouble, aren't you? Why don't you grow up and learn to accept your station like everyone else?"

"Yes, your majesty!" Kayla said sarcastically. "Why don't I just get in line with all the other drones so we can serve your every whim?"

"I should think that in a military organization," Rose explained slowly, as though she was talking to a child, "everyone should understand their place on the team and work towards the common goal."