Part 15

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

"This shouldn't work, it breaks our understanding of physics," said Rose, as their group examined a cold fusion reactor the size of a large truck.

Kayla had given it a brief inspection and was aware that such power plants were normally both highly experimental and required enormous installations. But she was growing impatient with the endless parade of technology demonstrations. When were they going to learn about soldiers?

"Well, we know they're a very secretive group," offered one of Rose's friends.

"But this will change the world," Rose argued. "It's criminal that the Academy hasn't shared this tech."

Kayla wasn't surprised to learn this. From the start, she suspected the tour group would be shown things that didn't make sense. Like they were being tempted with forbidden knowledge, until the evening's presentation would reveal the catch. She glanced at Rose, but there was only confusion in her rival's eyes.

They had already been treated to several scientific presentations, which had been interesting, but Kayla was losing her patience. A dark-skinned girl had been keeping to the back of the group and looking glum. Kayla, fidgeting with boredom, and remembering Urtiga's advice about meeting people, plucked up the courage to approach her. She smiled at the girl's unfriendly scowl and extended her hand.

"Hi, I'm Kayla Barnes," she said. "Do you also have the feeling you're at the wrong party?"

The girl eyed her hand suspiciously, then shook it. "Thandi Khawula. I don't normally get along with intellectual types."

"Didn't you come from a top school?"

Thandi narrowed her eyes. "Don't see what my school has to do with anything. I guess you're from one of those super-rich Helvet places?"

"No. Well, yeah. But, I mean, that's not why I'm here. I mean, it is, but..." Kayla trailed off. "The Academy is not what I expected, I guess."

"So, what did you expect?"

"Um... machine guns? Sniper rifles? Stuff like that, I guess."

Thandi's eyes went wide. "Seriously?"

Kayla described her encounter with Urtiga without mentioning what had happened to her father. She managed not to tear up at the memory and saw with satisfaction her new acquaintance become more engaged.

"That's awesome," Thandi said. "Shooting monsters, yeah? That's the kind of thing I want to hear about. I was getting ready for a boxing scholarship. I'm a Zulu, you know."

Kayla smiled blankly.

"Zulus are warriors with a proud heritage," Thandi explained. "So, I was into fighting, winning competitions, and getting set for a career, but my coach told me to come here. I have no idea why, but she's has never led me wrong before."

"I think everyone is misjudging what the Academy is."

Thandi shrugged. "The stories can't be wrong. They're showing us a bunch of high-tech toys too advanced for our civilization."

"I guess," Kayla said. "But now I'm here, something seems off."

"I know what you mean."

They chatted more while the tour continued. Thandi was from Intaba, one of the outer worlds, and her boxing stories fascinated Kayla. She hadn't been exposed to fighting in the high-brow culture of Rackeye. Now she wanted to know everything there was to know about Combat Sports.