Part 22

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

Weslan clutched his satchel tightly as he crossed the Rackeye university quad, heading for the office of his father, the head of the Biology department. The summons had been sent via the official channel, and Weslan was breathless with anticipation. He had known from the excited reactions of the review board professors that his PhD proposal had caused a stir.

After the rejection by Rose, a career opportunity would be a chance to retrieve some of his dignity. The news of the breakup had set the feeds on fire for days, and he'd begun to believe he would never live down the disgrace. His closest friends had tried to reassure him everything would be forgotten. They had refrained from commenting on the extra drinks he'd put away during their evening soirées. Even so, Weslan had been stung by their occasional concerned glances, and he felt certain they were ashamed of him. But how could his companions understand what it was like to be so prominent in League society? The best they could hope for was respect by association.

A crowd from the athletics team barreled down the path toward Weslan, cheering and hooting as they celebrated a victory. Alarmed, he was obliged to step onto the grass to avoid being shoved aside. The athletes hadn't smiled or waved to him as they usually did—as was proper for the son of the university's most distinguished scientist. Before he lost Rose, such a callous act of rudeness from the team would have been inconceivable. Even his own father had scolded him for failing to keep her affection. A marriage tie to the Djallen corporation would have held inestimable value for the Genny family, tying intellectual prestige to immense wealth.

But Weslan's father apologized for the outburst a few days later. With a gleam in his eye, he had explained to his son that there were several private research labs in the Helvetic League that would be eager to fund his proposal. An official summons so soon after this revelation could only mean one thing. Weslan quickened his pace as the athletes faded from his memory. His second chance was waiting for him.

When he reached his father's office, Weslan paused to catch his breath and smooth his hair. He knocked, waited for the command to enter, and pushed the door open. His father was seated at his desk, chatting with another man he didn't recognize.

"Hello Weslan," said his father. "I'd like to introduce you to Mister Kyellan Bell, a representative from Geolox, who has reached out to us."

Weslan had heard of Geolox—a bio-tech group working closely with the Helvetic League's military. He suppressed a shiver of excitement and reached out to shake the man's hand, gripping it firmly as he had practiced.

Bell smiled. "Great to meet you at last, young man. I've heard a lot of things about you."

Weslan took in the man's bulging muscles and upright, self-confident posture—so unusual in most of the scientists he knew. He wondered if the man might have been a soldier, then chided himself for making assumptions. "You're most kind," he responded.

"Is it true you're dating Rose Djallen?" Bell asked with a leering expression. "She's quite a catch, isn't she?"

Weslan caught his breath and looked down. He felt a flash of anger that a corporate representative would fail to study the social situation of a promising candidate like himself. "I was, but we broke it off. She's very career-oriented, and she was recently accepted into that Academy place."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that," Bell said, without showing much concern. "Still, if you play your cards right, she'll be regretting it for the rest of her life. I never did see those Academy girls in the big money circles." The man chuckled to himself.