Part 26

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

Christie pulled out a notebook. "So, my objective, for which I spent my free time in the camp library, was to determine if there was a trend of authoritarian meddling in human affairs by powerful entities. Empire building, unusually aggressive conquest, the justification of human subjugation, and so on. I suspect that the Jotnar may have been working behind the scenes, using a group of human philosophers to try to enslave humanity. It all begins with Plato."

Thandi grinned. "Does it, Christie? Really?"

"Um, yes I believe so; most of the major ideas—"

"Start with Pythagoras. You really have to go beyond the basic reading list, you know?"

Christie bristled. "Pray tell, how does a high-school boxer get so well acquainted with Greek philosophy?"

"Bible school. Christians love Plato, but I think they're misguided in that respect." Thandi cocked her head. "You didn't see me stop by the library a couple of times?"

Chisom put her book down. "I am way too tired for this. I'm going to sleep. At least keep your voices down?" She pulled her pillow over her head.

"So, I have no idea what you two are talking about," Kayla said. "How did the Jotnar get humans to try to enslave each other?"

"Well," Christie began, "it seems clear that, in the ancient past, human tribes were easily controlled by powerful warlords who claimed to represent 'the gods'. These men were stronger than others, had better weapons, and were able to boast of a few miracles to justify their divine legitimacy.

Kayla nodded. "A few high-tech tricks to con the unsuspecting masses?"

"It seems too easy, doesn't it? But, in ancient Greece, the people questioned their ruler's power. They had discovered their own capacity for rational thought, and the claims of these powerful men stopped adding up. The Greeks wanted freedom, and they tried to fight back. There was a great deal of mob violence and bloodshed in the city states, until Cleisthenes arrived in Athens, in 510 BC. He managed to gain power, and enacted the reforms that created the first democracy. This new kind of government spread across Greece, and so the ruling class was faced with something of an existential threat. I think that about sets the scene for Pythagoras, and the Jotnar intervention."

"Can I talk now?" Thandi said, her notepad held ready in her hand.

Christie smiled. "I ardently await your edification."

"Pythagoras is the triangle guy, right?" Kayla asked.

"Oh, this guy had a lot of angles," Thandi said. "As Christie said, the Greek aristocrats were facing the loss of all their power and control, until Pythagoras turned up with a solution. He was born to a powerful family, but had been run out of his hometown of Samos, and ended up in the Greek colonies in Italy. Styling himself as a charismatic cult leader, he created a belief system that completely transforms Greek philosophy.

"Pythagoras told his disciples," she continued, "that the purpose of existence is to attain the elevation of the soul through wisdom. He taught that the soul is reincarnated until it achieves harmony with the divine 'source' that created the universe."

"It's a fascinating conception," Christie interjected, "that opens the door to a really ugly kind of class system. Regardless of your merits as a person, your soul is just lower level, base and muddy, while mine is enlightened and pure. So, do what I say, peasant; my higher wisdom lets me see what is good for you better than you can."