Part 84

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

Kayla remained at Rose's side, struggling to contain the chaos of emotions inside her. In the beginning she had felt nothing. Then the pain of grief had pierced her heart, sending jolts of electricity through her nerves until she thought she couldn't take any more. Finally, like all the intense and painful sensations from her life, the anguish faded away, leaving only the glowing coals of rage that fueled her motivation.

Thandi tried to comfort her, and Christie too spoke kind words, but she didn't hear any of them, nor dare to look either of them in the eye. She was alone with her black fury, and she would keep it that way, until the day Rayker's eviscerated corpse lay at her feet.

When she finally looked up, she saw a crowd of Rangers lined up by Rose. Without a word, each one of them was stripping their badges off their combat suit, and laying them in a pile on her body. The word had spread quickly, and soon every Ranger in the valley who could walk had come over to pay their respects.

As Kayla stared, Christie sat beside her and placed an arm around her shoulder. "You haven't shed a tear Kayla. You haven't said anything."

Kayla didn't respond.

"Please talk to me."

There was a pause as Kayla looked down. "Rayker's still alive. She got away—I let her get away."

"I know," Christie said. "We'll find her."

"And the soldiers who shot you down."

Christie nodded.

Kayla stood quickly. "I need a rifle," she said firmly.

Cara, standing nearby, turned. "What do you want a rifle for?" she asked suspiciously.

"I'm a Ranger, I can still fight."

"You're walking wounded," Cara observed.

"Are you using that?" Kayla demanded coldly, pointing to the carbine slung around the PJ's body.

Cara assessed the young Ranger's wounds and met her gaze again. She nodded, unslung the weapon, and passed it over. "Good hunting," she said.

Kayla turned to leave, but Thandi stepped in front of her, a pleading expression on her face. "You can barely stand. Can't you just stop and talk to us?"

"Get out of my way," Kayla snapped. Then she was gone, heading for the platoons that were already moving up the valley.

Thandi looked back at Christie, who shrugged. "I guess I have a pistol," she said, and they both grabbed their helmets as they ran to catch up.

The ramp dropped slowly on the landing ship, letting in the brilliant morning light of Tyr. Dark clouds were gathering on the horizon, obscuring the dull red of the gas giant that dominated the sky. Kayla took a moment to inhale the air, so fresh and sweet after the valley, and their return journey in the stale Banshee.

She faced Thandi and they stood up in synchronized movement. Like her, Thandi was resplendent in her dress uniform, which they had managed to straighten out in the cramped walkways of the gunship, shining the buttons and their boots to perfection. Christie was to Kayla's right, facing the crashed dropship's pilot, and after them the co-pilot, with Cara. They stood in two lines, with Rose's coffin between them, draped in the Mountain Ranger flag. In one movement they lifted it up their shoulders, turned to face the open ramp, and began their slow march.

Outside, the full battalion, including the Vipers who had been wounded, had assembled, gleaming in the sun. Kayla heard the distant command to salute, and felt the glow of pride in her heart. Rose Djallen deserved nothing less.