Part 8

Buy the book now at your preferred store: https://books2read.com/u/bM2Nna

***********************************

"Academy," Kayla said, after they had placed their order.

Rose was happy to see Kayla's wide, focused eyes. At least she was interested in something other than hunting and climbing.

"It's the most prestigious and secretive organization in the galaxy," Rose said. "Only the very best female students from the settled worlds are invited to attend—but almost everyone gets rejected at the entrance test, and nobody knows what happens to the ones who get in."

"Where is it? Why is it a secret?"

"Nobody knows where it is. Some people say they are spies for the League. I heard once that they explore planets that no-one has visited yet. But anyway, only the two highest scoring students from our school get selected to go to there."

"And? What do they say about it when they come back?"

Rose shrugged. "They've only got vague memories. They talk about wonderful science labs, dazzling engineering workshops, and alien creatures in zoos—but they can't say much more. Some people say they deliberately erase people's memories. I met a graduate when I was on holiday, but when I asked her questions, she gave me a look, like this."

She made a face that combined condemnation and disappointment, which made her friend laugh.

"I'm going there." Kayla's smile faded. Her eyes fixated on a spot behind Rose as her jaw clenched.

"Y-yes? You'll have to beat my grades at school. I want to get a spot too." Rose laughed. "My father doesn't want me to go. He says I should work for the company, but I hate engineering."

"Bring it on."

"Okay." Rose was more than a little nervous when she saw the fire in Kayla's eyes. "But why?"

Kayla shook her head, then swallowed and wiped her eyes. "Do you know about what's happening at the farms? The monster attacks?"

"Yes, some people are talking about it. It sounds terrible." Rose didn't mention that Helvetic society believed the colonists were exaggerating—or even faking—the attacks to drive a division between themselves and the League.

"A few months ago...one killed my father."

"Gosh, I'm so sorry." A chill seized Rose's heart. She couldn't bear the thought of anything hurting her own father.

"Nobody does anything about it, and they kill my friends every day. Whoever is at the Academy will help me make it stop."

"How will they do that?"

Kayla shrugged.

Rose wanted to sympathize with the poor girl, but the talk shows couldn't be wrong. Kayla was obviously traumatized and had probably misremembered what had happened, or been told lies by one of her fellow colonists.

When the mountain of ice cream was delivered, Kayla gasped at the sight. Rose's eyes widened. They couldn't possibly finish it all, and their reputation scores would be fined for wasting food. If they tried, they would probably end up throwing up. While Rose had made peace with the penalties she suffered for these moments, she knew Kayla would need every point she could get.

"Oh my god, this is the best thing ever," Kayla said and began shoveling chocolate into her mouth.

Rose watched appalled as drips of ice cream flicked around the table. "Could you perhaps... oh never mind." She reached for a napkin to wipe a smudge off her cheek.