13. Academic Madness

My return to the academy attracted disdain and contempt. They wonder why I go unpunished for my impudence and where I get the face to walk so freely in the hallway.

But I don't care about those gazes. I no longer have anything to gain from this academy so I'm simply waiting until graduation.

Returning to my dormitory room, I crash into the bed and let out a long sigh.

What an exhausting trip...

The door clicks open and Aiden enters.

"Ah. You are back." He throws a bag on his bed at the opposite end of the room. "What did you do for the week? Slack?"

"Getting some stuff..."

I cut the heart of the deathworm and dissolved it inside the mana potions. Right now, the condensation of mana is ten times more in the potion, potentially lethal if one drinks it yet that's what I need for that "method" to work.

"What stuff?" Aiden takes off his coat and hangs it.

"I will tell you tomorrow."

"...Alright."

"Did anything happen in the past few days?" I ask.

"Nothing too serious or irregular. Curriculum as always, Irina getting the top spot for every subject, the usual."

"Okay. Thanks." I roll my body to the wall and close my eyes.

...

"Hey, Loi, is it true that you are participating in the tournament?" Aiden asks.

"Who told you?"

"A rumour. It's been spreading since a week ago."

Someone saw Sir Kaine giving me the envelope...

"So what if it's true? Are you doubting my ability?"

"No! It's just...ugh...it's too obvious why." Aiden says. "Look, I do hate nobles but I can't deny their power. My status within the Academy ironically has risen just by being his retainer. Yes, he plans to use me for his succession war but he will have to bear all the risks. Not me."

"Don't beat around the bush. Tell me the true reason why you want to stop me." I say.

...

"You know how scary the nobles' retaliation can be. For now, they left you alone. But the moment you become a potential threat to their power..."

"Aiden, do you know why Julius sacrificed such a huge sum to subordinate you? It's an investment. He is taking you hostage to control me. The moment I become useless, he will toss you away without regard." I blurt.

I go to sleep, ignoring Aiden's response.

=========

The heat from the sun wakes me up. I glance out the window to catch a mesmerizing view of the entire capital and the nature beyond. So high up and majestic.

I glance at the empty bed. Aiden went off early.

My schedule for the day is as usual. Morning training procedure with every cadet of the academy, breakfast in the academy, and theory lessons till the afternoon. Instructors attempt to target me in their lessons, calling me out for questions but to no avail. I know each answer flawlessly.

*Ding Dong*

The bell strikes, indicating the end of another lesson.

The female instructor, a woman wearing a blue shoulder coat and dress, puts down the chalk.

"That will be all for today. Review everything I taught today if you want to survive outside the Academy. Cadets, head to the arena for your next lesson." The female instructor says. On the way out, she throws an anxious gaze at me.

Hm...I can't remember her name. Is it Lessie?

"Is it just me or are the instructors getting more restless? In every lesson, they asked me at least one question." I whisper to Aiden.

"You are not imagining it. They are assessing you." Aiden replies. "I reckon they will assign a strong sparring partner to you in the practical lesson. I...won't tell you what to do but be careful."

I nod.

Unfortunately for the nobles, they need to have a bone to pick with me. I plan to become an unstoppable obstacle. That's the only way I can change the future.

Standing proud atop the grandeur academy, the colossal arena stretches across the sky, an imposing testament to the craftsmanship. Rows upon rows of seats ascend towards the heavens.

Climbing the stairs and stepping onto the arena floor surrounds me with remnants of battle, countless scars of fierce clashes over the past few decades.

The arena was constructed with enchanted impenetrable stone that even a master knight has difficulty scratching, forming an ellipse frame.

Crowds of youngsters have gathered at the arena, Aiden stands behind Julius with other servants.

Two instructors oversee this lesson, Sir Kaine and a moustached swordsman wearing a wide-brimmed hat, Sir Reginald. Broad shoulders draped in a worn but meticulously cared-for leather jacket and piercing eyes, Sir Reginald's lighting speed is faster than mine.

Reginald glances across the cadets and locks eyes with me.

His intentions are too obvious.

"We will begin the sparring session. Today, it will be a free spar. You are allowed to use any non-lethal techniques or styles. Win by incapacitation or coerced surrender." Reginald says.

Kaine pulls out a box of paper. "Each person, come forward and pick a paper. There will be two papers with the same number, holders of the same numbers will be your sparring partner for this session."

One by one everyone walks forward to choose their numbers.

When it's my turn, I sense a slight fluctuation in mana but do nothing about it.

My chosen paper is number seven.

"Haha! This will be an easy win!" someone purposely shouts across the arena.

Behind Julius is a burly cadet with a giant chunk of blade across his shoulders. His massive frame strains against the patchwork of worn leather armour over his uniform. He is my opponent.

But one thing stands out from his hulking figure...

"Yeah, hard to beat your receding hairline!" I reply.

"Pfft!" Aiden turns away and covers his mouth. Bits of snickers scatter in the arena.

At a time, ten spars occur in the arena. The rest will spectate at the seats. This is usually a time to learn from one another yet it's simply a waste of time for me. All of them are inexperienced and use techniques I've seen before. The more I witness, the more frustrating it becomes.

I was about to doze off until Sir Kaine announced the next ten spars. "number seven, eleven, ten, twenty, one..."

I descend the stairs to the arena and meet the burly cadet at over corner. He has the same hair and eye colour as me and I don't remember him or his name but I shouldn't let my guard down.

Throwing a slight glance at Sir Reginald, his eyes are rooted deeply in my direction.

...

"My name is Yush! I am a loyal retainer of Prince Julius! Engrave that into your mind!" My opponent says.

Ha...this guy is bringing in Julius' reputation to threaten me.

"I'm Loi."

Every cadet in the arena gets into a stance. I draw my sword.

"Begin!" Sir Kaine shouts.