51. Body Cultivation

The silence of the night accompanies me as I stare at the flickering light from the fire. The campfire cooks the meat overhead on sticks, illuminating the darkness and cold of the forest. Although it was a common occurrence in my past life, it's been some time since I travelled alone.

Every breath blows a cloud of vapour. The lonely melancholy reminds me of my past habits. I instinctively reach for my bag but find no alcohol or narcotics. Those are used frequently by players of death, warriors from the frontline, it was the only way to maintain sanity.

I sigh and scratch my hair, droplets of snow splatter.

Leaning against a log on a sheet of cloth over the snow, I inspect the mana within my body. The amount I absorbed from both peak masters is insufficient to break through to the next realm. Cultivation is harder than I thought.

Moreover, collecting mana over time does not work as the mana spreads evenly throughout my spiritual roots or even leaks out. The next realm is "Formation", as it implies, I need to create an outer layer of shell from mana around my energy core, strengthening it for greater mana intake. Therefore I require a massive amount of energy at once to cover my core and solidify.

...At least that's the basic theory. To achieve that even with sufficient resources is purely up to my willpower and ability.

I believe the martial artists use alchemy to create pills that aid them with this. Unfortunately, I and Morja have no expertise and neither does anyone I can think of.

While mana elixirs can be a small alternative, the contents of pure mana are low as they supposedly aid mages in mana accumulation for their "Circle Drawing", a term for upgrading to the next circle as a mage.

Now I have this weird accumulation of mana river in my body.

My eyelid closes when my head scrutinises for a decision.

...

If I keep it in my spiritual roots, it may hinder future mana intake. I need to use it before I can break through. In that case, let's allocate all of it to my middle energy core.

The current fierce rages the river of mana, directing it to the energy core at my chest.

"Ughk?!?" I groan.

The moment the dam opens and mana flushes in, I feel an intense sensation spreading throughout my body. From my bones to my organs to my muscles. The energy pulverises my old physique and constructs a better one. Unexpectedly, It's not painful but a rather comforting massage.

The warm embrace sends me to a peaceful sleep.

...

==============
One night later...
==============

"N...gh..."

The first thing I see is snow. Layers of thick snow. I pour my aura to blast the white into vapour.

*tsszzzt*

I fan the vapour away from my face and walk out of the smoke.

"Ugh...fuck...I didn't set up a tent..."

Wait, I don't feel cold? I should have died from frostbite sleeping under that snow for hours. The sun is already high up.

I look at my arm to find pieces of crisp skin. One touch and it breaks apart. I take off my coat and shirt and piles of flesh remnants fall to the snow. I don't feel cold, it's...warm. Just the right temperature for a shower.

-----------
Loi Krist
Fate: 302001
Role: Background Character
Karma: 10090
Fourth Stage of Refinement Realm
First Stage of Body Metamorphosis (Flesh[OXX])
First level of Sword Intent

Talent:
-Sword Tier 8(150000)
-Magic Tier 6 (70000)
-Cultivation Tier 3(500000)
-Speed Tier 5 (80000)
-Stealth Tier 7(95000)

Attributes:
-Holy Tier 2(30000)
-Darkness Tier 1(20000)

Skills:
-Quick Casting
-Death Sixth Sense
-Calm Mind
-----------

Body Metamorphosis...so this is body cultivation. I don't understand the "OXX" beside "Flesh" but it's fine because...

*GRRRRRR*

The threatening growl of a predator was unfortunately my stomach. I feel extreme hunger, which has been rare since I started cultivation.

*GRRRRRRRRR*

...Let's hunt something to eat before I continue.

=================

One week passed since the second battalion arrived at Lorain. Located at the edge of the kingdom, it is a territory with danger during monster migration. The ruler of these lands is the Baron Hertha family. Usually, their military strength was enough to deter the attacking monsters but this year is different. The attacks were more aggressive and organised and the Baron requested support from the royal family.

Mountains of different monster corpses are scattered on the outskirts, separated by fuming walls of fire defying the seasonal nature. The vapour climbs to the sky to indicate the ferocious victory brought upon by one individual.

Waves of monsters have been attacking the city, utilizing different guerrilla tactics to cut the battalion's forces. If not for Mina taking the role of vanguard, the battalion would have suffered considerable damage.

*Neigghh!!!*

I stop outside the large wooden gate to Lorain. The guards inspect the documents I show him and allow my entrance.

This place has not changed since my past life, every corner of the street has at least two blacksmiths store. The clothing of people and the condition of buildings tell a prosperous tale. Children play within the alleyway, a serious indicator of the security of Lorain as people tend to avoid dark and secluded places in the capital. I spot two knights on patrol, albeit not in the elite realm, who have good-conditioned physiques.

...

Lord Hertha Kelvin, the current head of the Hertha family, is a good ruler of peaceful reign. But in tumultuous times, his judgement was clouded by morals and sacrifice. Thus, Lorain was one of the first to fall during the war.

"Captain!"
"Sir!"
"Boss!"

Three familiar voices call me from afar. My squad awaits my return outside the inn where they stay.

It's a large inn in a good state, even providing stable services. I dismount my horse and lead it to a stable boy for takeover.

"Sir, how was your journey?" Issac asks as I enter the inn with them.

"Relaxing. Nothing much happened. Report to me on the current situation."

"Lorain faces a threat from constant monster attacks from The Iron Peak Range. The first and second lines of defence fell before our arrival. We are currently utilising every manpower to defend the third and last line of defence."

Right beside Lorain is a large region of mountains, The Iron Peak Range, with large ore reserves hidden. Lorain miners often mine in the mountains for blacksmiths, producing reputable gears. Hence, the city of blacksmiths is the Lorain's nickname. This is the hometown of Reaslz and Ruben.

Issac proceeds to explain the bizarre behaviour of monsters over a meal at the inn. The cooperation from different species and tactics intelligence surpasses their capability yet they pulled it off.

...I've seen situations like this.

"It's an apex predator acting as the leader."