Day 123 - Graduain't

In a small town resided Oliver, a young guy who had always felt as if he had lost out on the perfect graduation experience. His educational experience had been anything from traditional, leaving him craving for the sense of accomplishment and closure that a graduation ceremony provides.

     Oliver's scholastic route deviated from the standard almost from the outset. Born in September, he missed the kindergarten cutoff by only a few days. Instead of waiting another year to start school, his parents chose to enroll him right away in Grade 1. While Oliver excelled academically, he missed out on the kindergarten graduation ceremony that his peers fondly reminisced about.

     Oliver experienced more hurdles as he moved through school. By the time he reached tenth grade, the curriculum had changed, and graduation ceremonies are now expected to take place after graduating from twelfth grade. Oliver set his head forward.

     Twelfth grade was meant to be different. Oliver had worked diligently to meet all of the graduation requirements. He fantasized about donning a cap and gown, going confidently across the stage, and earning his diploma. But fate had different intentions. The COVID-19 epidemic raced throughout the globe, closing schools and canceling all graduation ceremonies. Once again, Oliver's expectations were disappointed.

     Now, when Oliver entered his senior in high school, he couldn't shake the sensation of déjà vu. The country was experiencing an unusual heatwave, prompting many schools to switch to online lectures. With the prospect of another interrupted school year looming, Oliver was concerned that he might once again lose out on the opportunity to commemorate his accomplishments with a formal graduation celebration.

     Despite the uncertainties, Oliver was determined to make the best of his position. He devoted himself to his studies, determined to finish strong regardless of the circumstances. But deep down, he couldn't escape the sensation of disappointment that had remained for years.

     As the academic year came to an end, the prospect of a graduation ceremony remained doubtful. Plans were shaky, with excessive heat and continued pandemic limitations throwing doubt on the occasion. Oliver attempted to stay optimistic, but the thought of another squandered chance gnawed at him.

     Then, one day, a ray of optimism came over the horizon. The school announced that they would be holding a modified graduation ceremony, with strict safety protocols in place. It wouldn't be the grand celebration Oliver had always imagined, but it would be a chance to mark the end of his high school journey and finally receive the recognition he deserved.

     Oliver put on his cap and gown for the ceremony with a mixture of joy and trepidation. As he stepped across the platform to accept his diploma, he felt a surge of pride rush over him. Despite the obstacles and failures he had encountered along the road, he persisted. And as he glanced about at his fellow grads, he realized that he was not alone in his quest.

     As Oliver stood among his batchmates, reveling in their families' acclaim and cheers, he understood that graduation meant more than just crossing the stage and obtaining a piece of paper. It was about tenacity, persistence, and the links of friendship that had gotten them through everything. And at that moment, Oliver realized that, whatever the future contained, he had finally achieved closure.