Chapter Twenty Five

Perri's POV

I spent the rest of the day thinking and worrying about the rogues. I knew that not all rogues were bad, and some were just like Aiden and tried to stay out of pack wolves' territories. I didn't know anyone who held a grudge against Red Rock pack, either.

There was no good explanation as to why this particular group were targeting us, of all people. We were a strong pack, but there were even stronger ones nearby. I suppose it would be easier to attack us if that was the case, but then why not go for a smaller pack? It all made no sense.

I hoped that they would decide that we weren't worth battling against, but the chances of that were slim. Dad sent me out of his office after explaining some of the things that were going on in further detail.

I decided to get some time alone, away from Aiden, and my friends too. I sort of felt as if I was neglecting my duties to the pack when I hung out with them instead of helping to prepare for the upcoming battle, or figuring out the rogues' weaknesses.

I didn't go back to watch Pretty Little Liars in the living room with everyone, and instead I went straight outside to the pond. The spot had become special to me, in a way. It held memories of my childhood, and new memories of being with Aiden and having a good time. Maybe it would help me think.

I felt kind of bad for leaving my mate and my friends without a word, but I could always contact them through the mind link if I needed to. Or they could just track my scent in order to find me.

I sat in front of the little pond, bringing my knees up to my chest. It was little more than a puddle, but it was still big enough to not be considered one. I gazed into the water. It wasn't the cleanest - mud and dirt clouded my view of the bottom. A tadpole flitted around near the surface, and a bird chirped from the tree behind me.

I considered all that had happened so far. First, I had received the note in my locker. Next, Dad started getting threats. Lisa and I were attacked by two rogues, one of which now resided in the pack prison. A group of teenagers were attacked on that same day, and Annie ended up losing her life. We figured out that Rick was probably the mastermind behind all of this. Two more fighters died last night, and the rogues were most likely planning to attack full-on soon. That was a lot to handle.

The first and only time I'd met Rick was at Aiden's apartment. I remembered how he kept looking at Jesse. Maybe that meant that he was planning to kill Jesse and Sera, or maybe they were working together. Oh god, what if they were working together?

But Jesse wasn't like that, and neither was Sera. And if they were working with Rick, wouldn't they have jumped at the chance to get on pack territory?

All I knew was that Rick was evil and he was planning on trying to kill my family and pack. I shouldn't be bothered about who worked for him - I should be out training with my fellow pack members to lessen the possibility of me dying, or worse, someone having to come to my rescue and them dying instead.

When the time came, Aiden would probably demand that I stay somewhere safe and twiddle my thumbs whilst he went off to fight. But I would have to make it clear to him that that wouldn't be happening any time soon.

I was really advanced in training and I was a good scout. I'd be useful, so there was no point in me staying inside while I could be outside helping. Of course, there were women fighters, but not a lot, and the rest of the women and children as well as the elderly would be taken to the huge basement in the pack house which was stocked with enough food and blankets to host around half the pack.

I decided to get back to the pack house. I shouldn't be alone out here anyway, not with danger lurking just around the corner.

I stood up and dusted off my clothes. When I started heading back to the house, I heard a whisper from the trees. "Psst! Perri!"