Chapter 38

It's kind of short, but I hope you like it. I'll be updating again next week so stay tuned!

"Yes, I love Ben. I-" I start saying, but immediately Hal interrupted me.

"I knew it, you're always together," Hal muttered to himself, not caring to hear me out.

He turned around to start walking to the trucks, but I talked again making his feet stop.

"I love him like a brother, nothing more."

He stood frozen and after a few seconds he spoke, "Really?"

"Yes."

Hal turned around and I took both of his hands and interlaced our fingers together.

"Why would you doubt that?" I asked as he sighed deeply.

"You wouldn't let me get close to you, but you called for Ben and lately you two have been spending so much time together that I thought... I don't know," Hal answered lowering his voice.

"I don't feel anything romantic for Ben, he's family to me."

I stood on my toes and placed my hands around his neck as I kissed the tip of his cold nose. We were inches apart and I could feel as his breathing became slower. Hal didn't back away and he didn't talk, all he did was stare at my blue eyes.

"I love you, Hal, and only you. I had a little anxiety attack, because of something that Lourdes told me and Ben knew how I felt. I didn't want to bother you with something so stupid, I know you have bigger problems."

Hal put his hands around my head to connect our foreheads together and smiled for the first time since we started arguing.

"Nothing is more important than you. You can tell me everything and I'll always be here for you."

I bit my pink lip and nodded, "I prefer not to talk about this, I just want to forget about it."

"Okay, whatever you want, princess," He said leaning in.

He pressed our lips together as his strong hands moved up to my cheeks and caressed them.

After a while, I pulled away and took a look around to see if there were any expectorates. I didn't found anyone, but I gave Hal a soft punch on the arm.

"Someone could have seen us!"

"You were the one that came close to me and you know I can't resist you," Hal said in a deeper voice and looking at me seductively.

"Hal!"

"I don't care anymore. You know what? I want everyone to know that you're mine." Hal turned around and screamed as hard as he could, "Emily Herminosity is my girlfriend and I love her!"

I laughed and hugged him from behind, "You're crazy!"

"It's all your fault. You make me crazy, crazy about you."

_________

It had been three long days of driving until Colonel Porter found the Second Mass and informed us that everything we had been told about Charleston was true.

He was leading us through some underground tunnels when he talked, "I can't tell you how proud I am of the way you guys kept the Second Mass out of the fight."

"The last time we heard your unit was taking some pretty heavy fire," Tom told Colonel Porter.

Not to mention we all thought everyone in your unit was dead.

Colonel Porter nodded his head and chuckled. "Yeah, mechs destroyed the hell out of us. We put up a fight, but in the end, only five survived. All we could do was patch up the wonders, bury the dead, and try tomato our way down here."

I felt as Colton's hand tensed on mine and he stopped walking.

I turned towards him and he talked in a whisper, "Em, is this place safe?"

I gave him a smile. "Of course, we're going to be just fine."

Colton nodded convinced, got out of my grip and started running through the people.

"Colton!"

He had been doing that for the last couple of days, he said he wanted to be just like Flash running around all day. He was a little kid, he needed some fun in his daily life.

"Caught him!" I heard a male voice said deep into the multitude followed by a laugh.

Hal came towards me, moving the opposite directing from where everyone was going earning a few bumps in the way. He carried Colton on his shoulder, not showing effort in his actions.

"What do we have here? A runner?" A woman said with a sweet smile on her red lips.

"I'm Flash!" Colton screamed happily from Hal's shoulder.

The woman laughed lightly and continued her walking, following the mass.

"I have told you not to run around in strange placed," I told Colton.

"That's why I asked if it was safe first," He responded with his new sassy attitude.

I sighed in defeat.

"Ready?" Hal said as he brought Colton up so he could sit on his shoulders.

I quickly nodded and we started walking up to the front of Tom and everyone else.

Hal took my hand with delicacy and interlaced our fingers together. After squeezing it for a moment he list it up and kissed my hand with his soft lips.

We smiled at each other while Porter leads us to a still escalator. In front of us was Tom and Anne, followed by Matt and every who looked with curiosity to the ground.

I wasted no time to follow their actions and looked down, where people were sitting on tables as they chattered and ate their food like they weren't in the middle of a war against aliens.

A gasp escaped my lips and beside me, Hal chuckled of my amazement.

"Wow!" Colton said with his sparkling eyes.

After a few seconds, the people began to notice our presence and stopped what they were doing. Most of them got up from their tables and stared at us as we descended down the stairs. In no time, all of the citizens of Charleston were clapping and cheering for the Second Mass.

Once we were on the ground Porter turned towards them again. "Looks like your reputation proceeds you, folks. Welcome to Charleston!"

It was about time.

Please vote, and comment!