Chapter 6

Edited

     "Hey, sorry about your parents and brother. My mom, she- she died scavenging for supplies too," Hal said as soon as I got where he was standing.

     He was gazing at the floor, but after he blinked a couple of time, he looked up to me.

     "I'm sorry to hear that, but they are in a better place now," I said not only trying to convince him but mostly me.

     I wanted to believe they were in a much better place, but what if they weren't? I missed them, even the little stupid things like arguing with my mom or fighting my brother for the final piece of cake. It is true that you truly value little things when they are taken away from you. 

     Hal nodded and talked quickly, "Are you hungry?"

     You could see he didn't want to discuss the subject and I didn't blame him, it wasn't a nice topic.

     "Yes, I am starving!" As soon as I talked, my stomach rumbled. Not my finest moment I should say.

     "Don't worry we'll get some food," Hal said without importance and a little smile.

     I looked away from him and nodded. His smile was so bright, it was just so hard to ignore the chills it sent through my body. I bit my lip, avoiding the smile that was about to form, but the thought of my siblings came across once more.

     "Where are my brother and sister?" I said, turning towards Weaver and Tom and interrupting their conversation.

     It came out abrupt, but I didn't care what they were doing, all I needed at the moment was my family. Without them I felt incomplete, like something inside of me was missing. 

     "Hal, please take Emily with them," Tom said to Hal.

     He simply nodded his headed and we both got out of Tom's office.

________

     We walked in silence and spotted a group of kids playing football.

     Avery loved football and she was very good too. I remembered when she was four, she begged our mother to buy her a professional football ball, she didn't have the money so Avery cried at the mall's floor for an hour straight.

     "Your sister is right there," Hal pointed his finger at a blonde young girl.

     Avery had dominance over the ball and ran towards the goalkeeper. A few kids tried to take the ball away from her, but they couldn't. When she kicked the ball and everyone screamed a big "Score!".

     Yep, that my sister, my beautiful and talented sister - I thought.

     "Go, I will be back in a bit," Hal said with an adorable smile.

     I nodded and turned to her. My feet start moving faster and faster, in desperation to reunite with my little sister. As soon as I got near enough, my arms moving around her body.

     I missed her so much, I wouldn't have made it without her - I said to myself.

     Avery's body tensed at first, but then she realized it was me the one who was hugging her and relaxed. Her arms moved around my neck and brought me closer to her as I heard her, lightly sobbing against my shirt.

     "Shh, shh," I stroke her hair gently, "It's okay, I'm here..." I told her crying.

     "Never leave us again, never!" She said crying as well.