Chapter 47

Sorry that it's not very long or good, but I promise it get better, trust me. 

     As soon as I walked out, a deep feeling in my gut invaded me. Was it wrong for me to leave my family behind? How could my desire to genuinely feel part of a group be more important than my own blood?

     I walked beside Ben, but we didn't say a thing to each other. The constant self-questioning of my actions was taking too much energy for me to fill the awkward silence between us.

     More time passed until we finally got closed to the campsite.

     "We're almost there, everyone's over there," Ben said pointing under a bridge, lighted by a wood fire.

     Although I was doubting every one of my moves, I was determined to stand up for myself and make the best out of the situation.

     As soon as we got there, kids came around us, some of them talked quietly, while others asked Ben how everything went.

     I caught the eyes of a few of them, all filthy and pretty beaten. The obvious presence of someone new in the group created a dead silence, all eyes were on me, and I had no words to explain why I was standing there.

     My arms dangled rigidly besides my body until Ben's hand posed itself in my shoulder. Then, I recomposed myself and talked, "Hi, I'm Emily."

     I received no reaction from the group of people in front of me, and although I was taken back by that, no expression left my face.

     Ben noticed, and gather everyone around.

     "Hey, this is my best friend Emily. She was also harnessed and now is part of us."

     It was strange to hear those words, I was part of their group and I had thought so long about belonging there, but still, I felt out of place yet again. I believed I would finally be happy with other dis-harnessed kids like me, but it wasn't the case.

     Slowly, the kids started walking towards me, and my first reaction was to stay frozen on the spot, not knowing what they were doing. In a matter of seconds, I had a bunch of arms around me. Before I knew it, I was in a massive hug that lasted instants and dissolved just as fast as it started.

     My eyes automatically wondered to Ben, curious to see his reaction as he stood farther from the group.

     "I know they're weird, but who isn't. Right?"

     I nodded, not really sure what to reply to one of the most awkward group hugs of my entire life.

     A yawn escaped my lips and Ben gave me a side hug.

     "You should rest, it has been an eventful day."

     "Yeah, just don't tell me I have to sleep like that," I said pointing at the skitters hanging upside down from down the bridge.

     Ben laughed. "C'om on, lets lay there."

     We cuddled on a corner, and not long after, I fell asleep.

     A week has passed since I first came in and joined the resistance. It wasn't easy, most kids weren't very talkative, and everyone stayed on their own lane. I had tried very hard to do the best I could with the small tasks I was assigned to feel like I deserved a spot there, but the feeling of belonging wasn't there.

     Every day was different, and I liked that. A new routine every time I woke up meant I had no time to worry about how things were back in the Second Mass. Of course, I missed them and thought about them every single day, but I had no time to cry about not being with them.

     The burning sensation against my face made me flinch, and wake up. As I stood up and looked around, I noticed it was later than what I usually woke up so I got ready to do my chores for the day. There was a note beside me that said 'Let you sleep in, you seemed pretty tired yesterday. Today recollect water, attend the meeting, and you're on the fourth round of patrol. -Ben' I tied my jacket around my waist and made my way to get the water.

     The meeting went good, we had one every day with Red-eye and a group of dis-harnessed kids, which I was part of thanks to Ben. We talked about future plans, strategies, and receiving informs from spies. I enjoyed being part of them, that was the part of my day where I felt like I was making a difference in the war.

     I was currently on patrol, a gun on my hands and I walked over the bridge keeping an eye out. I grew more and more confident to carry and use a gun, I wasn't the scared little girl I was before. The dark sky was above me, but I was accompanied by a few stars and the bright moon. From behind me, a strange noise emerged, and I immediately pointed my gun with my finger on the trigger.

     "No worries, it's me. Just wanted to see how you were," Ben said holding his hands up in defense.

     I lowered the gun. "Ben, hi. All good up here, everything's quite."

     He nodded and spoke, "I know, but how are you?"

     It took me a minute to respond, I was fine, but I still felt like I was in the wrong place. "Good."

     "You're doing great, but you just seem... not like yourself."

     "We all change. I am doing my job, that's all," I quickly blew him off, I wasn't in the mood to discuss my thoughts on the matter. There was nothing to do about it, I was staying with the resistance.

     "I know, but you look like you're living your life on neutral, and that's no way to live life."

     When I was about to respond with one of my cynical remarks, we hear someone scream Ben's name from down the bridge, so we got down and there he was.

     "Em?"

     Shit, here we go again.

Please, vote and comment to let me know you like it! It tells me that you guys are still interested in the book, and motivates me to keep writing.