Chapter 10

My hair hit my face and obstructed my vision as I ran towards the room were my siblings were. Hal was behind me asking Tom several questions, but I couldn't concentrate or understand what were they saying.

     I turned a couple of times left and that unforgettable sound hit my ears. Screams everywhere, but I knew who were they from. I made my legs go faster until I reached the closed door.

     My eyes started searching for the source of those horrible sound. My concern eyes stopped in my little Avery and Colton lying each one in one of the beds with their eyes closed. Tears were streaming down their faces, they were moving uncomfortably in the bed as they screamed like they never did before, their faces were as red as blood and sweat was all over them. Their screams were high-pitched and full of terror.

     Ben walked from one bed to another. He was shaking Colton and Avery, but they didn't wake up. Ben was trying to comfort them by saying sweet things like, "Everything is fine." or "I'm right here" and "I'm not leaving."

     It was like there were in another world and they couldn't listen to anything.

     Ben found me standing under the door frame and gave me a desperate look.

     "Ben, we need to calm them down," I told him as I ran towards Avery.

     "I know that, but I can't. They won't wake up," He said resting his hand on the back of his neck.

     As soon as Ben finished his last word Hal and Tom entered through the door. They stop their track when they saw the situation.

     "What is happening? Are they okay?" Hal asked.

     "You need to hug Colton hard but not too much," I told Ben ignoring Hal and his questions. "that will make the Nervous System go slower and will let the body relax."

     I did the exact thing I told him to do. Avery punched me and twirled around until she started moving slower and slower.

     Ben copied my actions until Colton calmed down and he continued sleeping.

     I stood up and lowered my head. It looked like I was staring at the floor, but what I was really doing was analyzing everything that had just happened.

     They just had a nervous breakdown because of the nightmares. I hoped they would just go away with time but, they were getting worse with each night. Maybe the best thing was to talk to Dr. Glass to maybe do something about it.

     What if we can't do anything about it and they keep have this problem forever?

     "Emily, are you alright?"

     Those simple words made me look up and realize Dr. Glass was now in the room and had her hand on my shoulder. Matt was behind her and his chest was moving quickly. He looked at Avery and sighed in relief.

     I nodded.

     "What is Anne doing here?" Hal asked as we all turned and looked at him.

     "I told Matt to look for her, we needed help here," Tom answered Hal.

     "Emily, can I talk to you for a minute?" Anne asked me sweetly and gave Tom the "Go away" look.

     I nodded and smiled at her.

     "Matt and I will get you some water." Tom hit Ben slightly in his ribs and gave him the look just like Anne did to him.

     "Um... Yeah, I will take a walk." Ben told us and left the room with his father and younger brother.

     A few awkward minutes after, Hal was still standing in the room until he noticed we weren't going to talk until he left.

     "Well, I need to get back to patrol. Bye." He walked to the door and left the room.

     I chuckled with Anne a while and sat each one on a bed facing each other.

     "It isn't the first time this happens right?" Dr.Glass asked me.

     I denied and talked. "Normally they are just nightmares. They started the night after our parents died."

     She nodded and smiled sadly.

     "This happens most nights, but they calmed after a while. Tonight, I guess they had too much stress and had a nervous breakdown."

     "We should monitor this episodes, but I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about it."

     I nodded and sighed.

     "And do you get them too?" Anne said.

     "Yeah, maybe a couple of nights a week. They became less constant with time."

     Suddenly, Anne's arms were around me and hugged me tightly. At first, I didn't respond but then I just did. I needed to hug someone and relax a bit. We stayed like that for a while and then she talked.

     "Do you want to talk about something?"

     "No I'm fine, thank you anyway." I wasn't prepared to let everything out, not now nor never.

     "Okay, I will go now. See you tomorrow. Call me if you need anything."

     I nodded and faced Avery and Colton. Avery had her legs and arms stretched across the bed and left no space for me, so I lay next to Colton and closed my eyes.

     I loved to sleep because when I did it was like anything had happened and there was nothing to be afraid of.