Chapter 8

My arms were around his tiny body and I didn't want to let him go. His scent reminded me so much of the old times where everything was better, I wanted to stay like that forever.

     "I won't leave you again Colton," I said sobbing.

     "Pinkie promisssse?" He said sobbing as well.

     We did the pinkie promise thing and stood up. I picked him up and I started walking to Hal. He was looking at us with his perfect smile.

     "Haaal!" Colton screamed and extended his arms towards Hal for him to carry him.

     "Hey, Buddy. How are you?" Hal grabbed him and both did a super weird handshake.

     I looked at them, not very sure what were they doing.

     The three of us direct our bodies to the clinic because Anne wanted to check Colton because of a normal routine.

     "Emillly, where is mommy?" My little sibling gave me a warm smile.

     "S-she... Um... she..." I couldn't tell him she was dead. He was just a little kid, I couldn't do that.

     "Don't worry about that dude. Emily is taking care of you now," Hal responded looking my pale face and realizing I couldn't respond to that questions.

     Colton nodded and gave me his hand to walk together.

__ __ __ __

     We enter the clinic and Lourdes and Anne were already there. They were both talking happily and I am sure Lourdes was blushing because of something Anne said.

     "Hi. You are going to check Colton, right?" I said interrupting their conversation.

     "Yes, now if you don't mind. Come sit here Colton and hi Hal," Anne said pointing to a doctor seat so Colton could sit there.

     Colton was looking at me with frightening eyes, he was very nervous. He used to love doctors since mom was one, but since the invasion, this kind of things made him timid. Colton took my hand and hide behind me.

     "Sit there Colton, don't worry. I am going to take your hand all the time, they are just trying to help you," I said calming him.

     I guided him to the seat and helped him to get up. He got my hand and pressed it very hard.

     After Anne checked Colton and gave him a cherry lollipop we decided to go and find Avery so we could talk a bit and discuss some issues.

     "My buddy is coming with us?" Colton said jumping and running like a maniac.

     "Who is your buddy?" I respond jumping just as crazy as him.

     "Hal, he always calls me that way."

      "Nop, he stayed with Anne. Remember?"

     "Ohh... I remember now!" He said suddenly excited.

     I started laughing and put him on my shoulders.

     We walked until we got to the smelly cafeteria where Avery was. She was sitting next to a darker skin little girl with a type of afro hair, I thought she was just adorable. A got Colton down my shoulders easily and sat him on the chair in front of the girls. I sat next to Colton and made a wired sound with the chair.

     "Em fart!" Colton shouted the hardest he could.

     I was going to kill him! The people in the cafeteria turned and looked to me. The kids would laugh, the adults looked at me funny and some of them disgusted. How embarrassed, I wanted to get under the table and hide in there forever.