Chapter 44

Jean, the one I had recently begun to call my friend, stood in front of me. She was gesturing her hands all around, while her lips moved at full speed, hiding a smile on them. I saw her perfectly, but the sound was off. My head moved up and down nodding, but I wasn't hearing a word she was saying. My thoughts were somewhere else, much farther away.

     Thirty-six hours I had spent curled up in bed with a fake stomach ache, crying my eyes out and hating myself for it. It was plain stupid, how could I let a guy mess me up like that? But I wasn't strong enough to get up and pretend like nothing had happened. I needed Hal, and with no Ben around, I was crumbling into pieces. Of course that I had my siblings, but I didn't want to worry them with boy drama. Then, I met Jean, she came in my room and made me clean myself up and got me out of there. Jean kept me company and became close with Avery too. After a week, I was finally coming back to normal.

     I snapped out of my trance and set my attention on Jean's words.

     "Hey, are you listening to me?" She asked with a teasing smile on her face.

     "Y- what?"

     "I was asking you if you were going to wish me luck on my speech." Jean slightly bumped my shoulder and said, "You helped me write it after all."

     "Yeah, of course." I faked a smile. "Good luck, you'll do great. Sorry for not paying much attention earlier, I was just thinking."

     "Thinking about someone in specific?"

     The next thing I knew, my eyes began to scan the sea of people, which waiting anxiously for the speeches to start. There were mostly adults chatting calmly among themselves. I spotted Derek, Colton, and Avery; all sitting near the front and talking a little louder than the rest, but my eyes kept going until I saw who I was really looking for. I stopped as soon my eyes laid on Hal.

     He was sitting between Matt and Maggie and was laughing, probably at a stupid comment Maggie had made. His dark hair seemed shorter and a new cut was noticeable on his forehead. Bags had formed under his eyes and he seemed more tired than normal, not that I cared. I recognize that I stared for a bit but only until those brown eyes gazed back at me.

 I recognize that I stared for a bit but only until those brown eyes gazed back at me

     I quickly looked back at Jean, who gave me a comforting smile. I had locked eyes with Hal a couple of times before, but it didn't make it easier to ignore the confusing feeling inside of me.

     "Maybe." There was no need for me to lie to Jean, she saw clearly through me. Both, a good and bad thing for me.

     She rolled her eyes at me. "Come on Emily, you need to stop thinking about Hal, he's a dumbass. It makes you no good to have a minimal thought about him. I have told you a million times."

     "I remember, but you know I can't help it," I mumbled, turning my attention away from her.

I recognized Weaver in his military uniform, proudly walking in our direction. He greeted a few people without a hiding a big smile, which clearly was for his daughter.