Chapter 37

Christina's point of view

The morning after Percy Adopted me I hurried to get ready. I wondered what the other campers reactions would be when Percy claimed me. They would probably be shocked at first until they figured out that Percy must have adopted me since it just isn't possible for him to be my birth father.

I still couldn't help but wonder who my birth father is, even though it is obvious that he doesn't want anything to do with me. At the moment I am the only unclaimed camper, apparently, unclaimed demigods are usually claimed the day they arrive at camp, so I am glad that I am finally going to be claimed.

When I got to the dining pavilion for breakfast I looked around to see if Percy was there. Sure enough, he was sitting at the table with Chiron and Dionysus smiling slightly. I went and sacrificed some of my food to Percy and some more to Hestia more or less to thank her for allowing me to stay in her cabin I know she did it for all the unclaimed but still even though I haven't met her I got the idea that she is one of the nicer Olympians and that she didn't always get the recognition that she deserved.

After I got back to my table I glanced over at Percy again he noticed me and grinned. Suddenly the other campers gasped one of the other campers had told me what usually happens when a camper is claimed and I looked up, above my head was a glowing image of a Pegasus flying over crossed swords. I looked around at the other campers some were confused others just looked shocked.

Chiron said, "All hail Christina Johnson Adopted daughter of Perseus god of time, waves, tides, swordsmanship, loyalty and heroes." I couldn't stop a smile from appearing on my face, and when I glanced over at Percy again he had a similar expression on his face.

After breakfast, I had my first sword lesson. An Athena camper had taken me to choose a weapon but none of the swords were quite right in my hand. Oh well, this one will have to do for now. I was having the class with the Iris cabin. Nico di Angelo was teaching the class. He showed us a few techniques and then he got us to duel in pairs. After this, we took a break.

After the break, he told us he wanted to demonstrate a disarming technique. When no-one volunteered he picked me. Great, I thought sarcastically I figured I had no chance. The Iris camper I fought before the break didn't have nearly as much experience as Nico does you can tell by the number of beads on his camp necklace just how much experience he has.

First Nico demonstrated the move in slow motion and sure enough, my sword skidded across the arena floor. I retrieved my sword and then Nico said we would fight until one of us successfully uses the technique on the other. I figured it would be no contest since I have no experience and am using an unbalanced sword but I didn't realize how wrong I was.

After we started I somehow managed to keep Nico from getting a shot at my hilt but I was tiring, I wasn't used to using a sword so I thought what the heck I tried the maneuver. My sword met Nico's hilt and I twisted it, Nico's black sword hit the floor with a clang. Nico's expression was shocked at first but then a grin spread across his face. Then he said, "it seems you got Percy's skill with a sword." 

I said, "What do you mean?" 

he said, "There was a reason Percy got swordsmanship for one of his domains. Even before he became a god he was the best swordsman in the last three hundred years, he succeeded with that technique on the first try as well just like you just did."

 I was surprised but then again Percy hadn't said much about himself, he just explained about my parentage and about the camp, he would also comfort me when he saw me upset.

Percy's Point of view

What the campers didn't know was that while Christina was having her first sword lesson I  watching, I used the mirror that I use to watch over demigods, so the demigods had no idea that I saw what was going on. As I watched Christina it was obvious that the sword she was using wasn't the right one for her.

I thought to myself maybe I can get Tyson to make one for her. I watched as she held her own against Nico, even though he spends a lot of his time in the underworld he had managed to become a skilled swordsman. While he was at camp I had also taught him a few techniques. I was a bit surprised when Christina successfully used the maneuver on Nico.

It made me think back to my first days at camp when I had done the exact same thing. This made it quite obvious that my adopting her must have given her great skill with a sword since the way she fought was a lot like how I do it myself. Not to mention that one of my domains is swordsmanship. When she disarmed Nico I grinned and I was trying  not to laugh at my younger cousin, Nico didn't seem to bothered by it though.

After the fight ended I stopped watching at first  I was still thinking about Christina, but then my mind shifted to Amber and what we would do tomorrow, she had mentioned once that she dreamed of visiting Rome and Greece, but both of those places held some bad memories for me. But I want to do something special for her since tomorrow it will be a month since we met.

I know that we love each other a lot and I can't stand to think about the fact that I will eventually have to leave her. I don't want to break her heart but when the time comes I know I will have no choice. I was sitting down in a chair in my palace still thinking about this when I heard the door open. I hadn't heard anyone knock so I stood up to see what was going on. Sure gods could just teleport anywhere, but it was still polite to knock. I turned around to see who had barged in and I wasn't all that surprised to see Ares standing in front of me glaring at me. The reason why I wasn't surprised was because Ares didn't like me to begin with, and even though he hadn't even acknowledged that Christina existed, he still wasn't pleased when I adopted her.