Chapter 42

Percy's point of view

This morning word reached us that Annabeth had gone missing. A meeting was called and as far as I could tell most of the other gods weren't that concerned. My dad wasn't the least bit concerned, neither were most of the other gods. I think the only reason any of them cared at all was because she was still a hero of Olympus regardless of her recent mistakes.

Her mother was still somewhat concerned about her but everyone else looked like they couldn't care less. I don't like to admit it but I wasn't really concerned either. She had annoyed me  one too many times recently to warrant my concern. Camp Half-blood would be sending search parties although I was pretty sure that the campers were doing it reluctantly.  The hunters would also be keeping their eyes open for her. Thankfully I didn't have to tell Camp Jupiter, Hermes got that job. He agreed to do it but he seemed rather reluctant which I really didn't blame him for.

After that meeting finally ended I left and returned to my palace. I was just thinking about everything that had happened in the last few days I remembered how during my most recent fight with Ares I had used a move that I don't even remember learning. I assumed that it had something to do with swordsmanship being one of my domains.

After I thought about it for a while I realized that there are still many mortals that use swords, and there are more fighting styles than just Greek and Roman. Maybe since I am god of swordsmanship, I automatically know many different techniques from the different fighting styles. That was the best explanation that I could come up with, and it made sense so I am guessing that is the reason for my sudden knowledge of new sword techniques.

Christina's point of view

After Percy had adopted me I had noticed a change in my appearance, my previously brown eyes now contained flecks of gold and sea green. The last few nights Chiron had been telling Percy's story at the campfire, the first night he had spoken of Percy's arrival at camp and his first quest, the second night he had told of Percy's quest in the sea of monsters.

The older campers already knew these stories but the newer campers, including myself, listened intently. Percy had never told me his last name but I decided that I would use it as mine. He adopted me and I definitely don't want to use my stepfather's name any longer, especially after what he did. You might wonder why I have his name even though he obviously wasn't my father, well the reason for that was because he forced me to change my last name. For some reason he thought me having his name would  make it easier to control me and my life. Yeah he wasn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer but at least he was no longer in my life. So far I was doing reasonably well in the various camp activities, one of the Athena campers was teaching me Ancient Greek. Nico taught me swordsmanship; although it was almost like I didn't need many lessons in that area it was like it just came naturally.

Archery was a whole different story. I heard stories about how bad Percy used to be at it and I wasn't that bad but I wasn't great by any means. I was also gradually recovering from my two weeks spent living on the streets I had also made friends with some of the other campers. One of these friends was Jenifer, a daughter of Apollo who was trying to help me with my archery but I'm not sure if her help would do any good.

Yesterday one of the veteran Athena campers had left without telling anyone where she was going. I had overheard some of the other campers talking about her, and apparently she used to date Percy before he had accepted godhood.

I gathered from the other campers that she had broken up with him and that had been one of the reasons why he had accepted godhood. I also heard that recently she had been trying to get him to take her back, but I guess it finally sunk in that he didn't want her back. Malcolm had been chosen as the new head counselor for the Athena cabin for now. If the missing girl returned she would be able to have the position back, but if she wasn't found Malcolm would remain head councilor. It seemed to me that most of the campers didn't like the girl that had gone missing, since they didn't seem to be too worried about her, even her siblings weren't that worried about her.

All the cabins seemed to be preparing for capture the flag tomorrow night; everyone was excited for it, the two leading teams were the Athena cabin, and the Ares cabin. Since I was the only camper in my cabin I had allied myself with the Athena cabin. I had a couple friends who were children of Athena. Besides what I had seen of the Ares campers was that I had seen some of them bullying some of the younger campers, and that didn't make me like them. I was looking forward to the game since the other campers had made it sound like it was a lot of fun.

I'm not really sure how I'll do. I'm decent with a sword, but I'm not used to lugging around heavy armor either. As I was heading back to my cabin after archery practice I noticed a guy I hadn't met before was walking toward me. When he reached me he said "Hi I'm Nathan Jones, son of Hecate" "Christina Jackson, daughter of Perseus" I answered. He gave me a confused look and said "I thought your last name was Johnson?" I frowned but explained how I had decided to use Percy's name because of what my stepfather had done.

After my explanation he said, "I'm sorry to hear about your mother."

 I said, "its fine" but I think he knew that it wasn't. while I was on the run I hadn't really gotten a chance to grieve, now that I don't have to worry so much my mom's death hit me hard. Percy and Chiron were trying to help me through it but it was hard. Until recently she was the only person who cared about me. In school I had only had a couple of friends since I was usually defending some of the other students from bullies. 

When I ran away from home it was hard but then Percy had come and since then my life had certainly improved, I had a new home where I was making new friends but it was still hard when the fact that my mom is gone hung in the back of my mind all the time. Despite the fact that my birth father didn't seem to care about me I still couldn't help but wonder who he was. I guessed that I would probably ask Percy sometime. I was sure that he knew, and thought that he might not mind telling me. I was grateful to Percy since he saved from a horrible situation and had been nice to me ever since. despite that I was still a little curious who my birth father was.