six

As expected, the home opener was loud. It's fair to say that Chicago missed them more than they missed Chicago. This is why I wholeheartedly believe that they have the best fans in all of sports. And the team put together something for Kyle while they introduced the team, so that was a pretty nice gesture.

I walked into the clubhouse after their 5-3 win over Cincinnati and Anthony approaches me as soon as he sees me.

"There's my number one fan," he jokes and I roll my eyes. "You busy tonight? We're going out for drinks."

"Yes, actually, I am. I told my friend we'd do something tonight, sorry." And while that was true, I don't think I should go out with all of them again after the events that happened last time.

"Bring your friend along! It'll be boring if you're not there," he whines and I sigh.

"I'll have to ask my friend if she even wants to," I explain, even though I know that she would say yes in a heartbeat. But once again, I don't want a repeat of what happened last time.

Anthony promises me that he'll text me where they're meeting if Lauren says yes and he walks off. I exit Wrigley and sit inside my car while I send Lauren a text.

me: so anthony wants me to go out with him and guys for drinks and idk if you'd be up for going so ...

Lauren texts me back almost immediately.

Lauren: are you seriously asking me this

Lauren: oF COURSE

Lauren: i'm in your apartment btw . remember you once left a spare key at my house

I shut off my phone before starting up my car and I drive off to my apartment.

***
Lauren and I walk into the bar Anthony told us to show up at and Anthony waves us over to his table with Kris and Jason.

"Guys, this is Lauren," I introduce to the group as she's sitting down. They all say hi and Jason gets up to go get both of us drinks and even though I told him not to get me anything, he's still doing it anyways. 

Lauren immediately hits it off with all of them. I eventually feel like I'm being a fifth wheel with all of them together and I just sit and quietly drink my drink while they talk about whatever it is they're going on about. Instead of just sitting there while everyone talks, I eventually decide on getting up and going to get another drink at the bar. Not like they'll notice I'm gone.

Kris

Jesus Christ, does her friend ever stop talking? I know that sounds rude, but good Lord, she talks a lot. It's making me want to drink more than I already am. I don't think anyone else realizes how much Lauren talks (except maybe Mallory, considering she's said maybe four words since showing up), and I especially don't think Jason notices. He's been eyeing her since she walked in. 

Mallory gets up from the table after a while and goes to sit at the bar. None of us say anything to her because no one, besides me, notices that she got up and I really wasn't wanting to say anything. I don't blame her, though, I'd do the same thing if my friend was being annoying as shit. I already do that to Anthony.

I scroll through my Twitter feed for a few minutes before actually deciding to be a decent human being and talk to Lauren. 

"Lauren, how do you know Mallory?" I ask her as she's taking a drink of her beer.

"College! Met her freshman year. And I'm kind of the only friend she's kept around to help her deal with everything that's happened with her within the past few years, so here I am," she answers and I raise my eyebrows in confusion. Everything that's happened? Huh. Wonder what that would even be. She doesn't even like talking about her personal life all that much, so, of course, she hasn't mentioned everything...