eight

Some dates just stick with you. Once that day happens, it's forever engraved into your mind. Like, of course, your wedding day. And it's not just the day itself that sticks with you, it's also all the events that happened within that span of twenty-four hours are the reason behind why that day is engraved into your mind.

Today's one of those days.

April 19. It's been two years since my mom called me in the middle of one of my college classes to tell me that I needed to come home to tell me my stepbrother was in the hospital, but by the time I made it there, he was already gone. How am I supposed to forget that ever happening?

***

"Goddammit," I mumble as my alarm goes off for the once again. I turn my head to read the time and it's 7:27. Shit. I have class in about thirty minutes.

I groan as I slowly get out of bed and throw on one of my hoodies in my closet and a pair of jeans. I put my hair up into a ponytail and skip putting on makeup despite having to deal with the fact that I currently look like a big, tired mess. I slip on my black Converse sneakers and grab all my things before heading out the door, and somehow, I managed to make it into class on time. Barely, but I still made it.

I sit in the same spot I usually do- Third row, second desk. Abbey is sitting right next to me and she's absorbed in what she's doing on her laptop and I startle her whenever I take my seat.

"Oh, hey!" she slightly jumps and turns to me, "I didn't think you would show up today."

"Just overslept. That's all," I mumble and she just shrugs her shoulders and goes back to doing what she was originally doing until the professor walks in.

I don't even remember what he was going on about that day. This professor was in one of his moods, as usual, and he had already scolded four people for something by the time my phone started ringing.

I didn't even notice my phone vibrating in my bag. I was spacing out completely, desperately wanting to go back to sleep because that's the only thing I wanted to do. Abbey was who noticed my phone. She kicked my leg under the desk, snapping me back to reality, and I give her a "what the hell?" kind of look. She gestures down to my bag and I see my phone screen lit up and my mom's calling. I reach down to grab my phone to decline the call, trying to go unnoticed, but my professor still catches me, anyway.

"Miss Crawford," he interrupts his lecture, "what is so important that you need to be on your phone for?" Everyone's eyes direct to me and a flush of embarrassment rose to my cheeks. Fantastic.

"I..." my voice trails off and the phone is still vibrating in my hand, "My mom's calling..."

"Well? Are you going to answer it? My mom would rip my head off if I missed her call, so step outside to take it," he replies with strong hints of annoyance and I awkwardly stand up. Everyone's stare practically burns through me as I rush out into the hall. My phone had already stopped ringing by the time I stepped out, so I call my mom back.

"Mom, did you need something? I'm in class," I say as soon as she answers.

"Sweetie..." she sobs out, "You need to come home. Now."

"What's going on?"

"It's Dallon... He's at the hospital right now... Oh my God..." She sniffles in between her sentences. My eyes widen. Dallon's my stepbrother and honestly, he's my best friend. And he's in the hospital? Holy shit.

"What happened to him?" My voice is quieter than it was before and I hear my mom let out another sob.

"Mallory, just come home." My mom hangs up before I get a chance to say anything and I rush back in the classroom. Everyone's attention comes back to me as I open up the door and I approach my professor. He raises an eyebrow at me and I tell him I need to leave and why. He just nods his head and I walk back to my seat, grabbing my things, and leaving the classroom once again.