Ch. 28

**PETER**

The ringing in my ears didn't fade away before I knew what had happened. 

I could barely see - the pain in my back was so bad I thought someone had ripped my spine out. I could sort of stand, so I was guessing that wasn't the case, but it hurt bad enough for me to lose touch with my senses. My eyes kept going in and out of focus, and that constant ringing in my ears blocked out all other sounds. 

I saw the outlines of Heat Lamp in front of me. Then, the more I focused, his face became clearer. I could see blood running down his face from a round wound in the middle of his forehead. His eyes were going lifeless. His insane grin was gone. Everything seemed to be happening in slow-motion, but the ringing stopped as soon as another sound kept going off in my head.

A gunshot. Over and over. And then I remembered what had happened. 

Heat Lamp and I fell backwards at the same time, only I had someone to catch me. He just fell, as his life ran out of that bullethole in his forehead. 

**WADE**

I carefully laid Peter on his back after catching him from falling, and Iceman leaned down next to me. He even put a hand on my shoulder. Can you believe that? Apparantly not all X-men hate me! 

"You did what you had to do," Iceman said, and I froze under his touch. 

Oh. Haha. Froze. Get it? 

<Not exactly the right time for jokes, Wade..>

Right. 

"He'll heal," Iceman continued. "If you want, we could probably take him to the institute. Professor X will know what to do." 

I shook my head as I sat back and leaned against the brick wall behind me. 

"No. I'm sure daddy X would somehow just reveal his identity to the entire school." 

"Don't think so lowly of him, Deadpool," Iceman scolded, but I just rolled my eyes. 

"He's not going to the institute. Or mansion. Or whatever the fuck you call it these days. He's going home, he'll heal, and then he'll hate me and I can continue living my life as the merc with a mouth." 

Iceman didn't say anything after that. He just looked at me with pity - ugh, disgusting look - and then he took off. 

Just me and Spidey again, then. And Heat Lamp's body. At least I could finally get paid for that now. 

I fished up my phone with one hand, the other one holding Peter's. Hey, don't blame me! I wanted to hold on to him as long as I could, knowing I'd lose him as soon as he woke up. 

I quickly texted the guy who had wanted Adam Long dead, sending him a picture of the body, and waited for the money transmission. Despite knowing I was only doing my job, it somehow felt wrong to still be taking the money for taking a life, and in the midst of it all I was almost glad Peter was currently out cold. 

Spidey was still unconcious, so I lifted him up as soon as I had healed enough, and carried him home to the sound of sirens as background music. 

>>><<<

**PETER** 

I woke up feeling sore all over. My back was still hurting, but at least the pain was bearable by now. My head felt like I was having the worst hangover of my life, so I kept my eyes close. 

That is, until I realized that I wasn't laying on a cold, hard ground, with blood all around me and a dead body a few feet away. 

I was laying in a bed, out of my Spider-Man suit and wrapped in blankets. Did Wade do all this?

I looked around, not really reckognizing the room at first. It was the mess all around that gave it away; I was at Wade's place. And, to my left, lay a sleeping Wade. 

And my heart dropped. 

I instantly remembered what he had done. The one thing I'd hoped he would never do again. The image of Heat Lamp's bleeding head was probably one that was going to be hard to forget. 

I absentmindly put my fingers on his back, which was facing me, and just lightly traced his flawed skin. The feeling of him beneath my fingers was enough to send chills all up my arm. I moved up to his arms, admiring his muscles for a while. 

Damn, Peter. You've never sounded more gay. 

As I moved further up, he turned around to face me, and I smiled sadly. 

"Don't cry," he whispered, taking me by surprise by how vulnerable he sounded. He reached up to wipe a tear from my eye that I hadn't even noticed, and then grabbed my hand in his and kissed it. 

We stayed like that for a while. None of us saying anything, just staring at each other in a way most people would probably find creepy. 

"Can we just be cheesy and stay like this forever?" Wade whispered, and I chuckled, stroking his cheek. 

"You know I can't," I replied. Wade entwined his fingers in my hair, and sighed. 

"How are you feeling?" he asked, moving his hand down to my back, and by doing so pulling me closer to him. 

"Alive." 

Never in a million years had I thought I would see Wade like this. No mask, no jokes, no layers. No clothes either, for that matter, but that wasn't too surprising. It was almost like I was meeting him all over again, this new side of him that he never showed anyone. 

"Why did you do it?" I asked. I didn't even have to say anything else for him to understand. 

"He was going to kill you," he answered right away. 

"Why did you do it?" I asked again. Every day was a suicide mission for me. That was my job. Plenty of people had come close to killing me, but I'd never intentionally killed them despite that. I'd rather embrace death than put it on to someone else. 

Wade just looked at me with the saddest eyes I had ever seen. 

"Because I love you." 

Yup, here comes another tear. 

I leaned in and kissed him, pouring all of my emotions into one action, feeling my heart break. I couldn't be with a killer. I knew that, I knew it was wrong. It would go against not only myself, but my uncle Ben, and everything I stood for. I was never meant to care about Wade the way I had ended up doing, and I couldn't avoid the inevitable anymore. And it was obvious Wade knew that. Not only did he know, but he understood. That was proof enough that he meant what he said. 

Well, it was fun while it lasted. 

******

*preparing myself for death threats*

tnx 4 reading ok bai