Chapter 19

"How's Lily feeling, doctor?" I asked as soon as I reached Lily's hospital room.

"The gunshot wound is healing. Fortunately the bullet didn't do a lot of damage and the injury is minor. I'm afraid though that she hasn't woke up till now." Dr. May said before she patted my shoulder and walked away.

I slowly turned on my feet and walked away. When I entered my hospital room again, I saw my friends sitting with a sullen look on everyone's faces.

"Lily's dad came over," John began, from which I instantly knew it was a bad news.

"He left this letter for you," Mary said while holding out a letter.

I slowly walked towards her and took the letter with my left hand. Carefully, I opened the letter and started reading it,

Hannah,

I don't know whether to feel sorry for you or to abandon my daughter from meeting you. I think the second option might be better, since you've already done enough damage to her life and I won't tolerate it anymore.

What? Your twin sister died. You have a sad life. Why don't you just grow strong and move on? Why are you dragging my daughter to your mess? Lily hasn't had a good life too, yet she's always sunshine and you're rain.

I just wanted to say, kindly stay away from my daughter starting with the second you read this letter. I have already lost a daughter when she was little, and now I can't bear losing my adopted daughter, who reminds me of her.

I'd like to conclude with,

Hope you find your stars too and be brave. Once you get out of your 'M' mess and your life is free, I might let Lily in your life again. Sincere wishes that you might live a good life even without Lily.

Yours truly,

Lily's father.

I slowly kept back the letter inside the envelope and sat again on the bed. I laid down as I felt my friends' stares on me. I just wish nothing happened. I just wish Mark would be caught. I just wish that tree wasn't grown in the way. I can just wish.

I heard my phone ringing and saw Officer Matt's name pop on my screen. I ignored his call and switched my phone off. I know I can't blame him but right now I just can't think of anyone else whose fault was in this mess, so let's just blame Officer Matt. I know I'm being mean right now, but I can't help it.

After I fell on the ground, Mark had no doubt pointed his gun at me, but then he noticed that Lily was escaping and he shot her. He fled as soon as he shot Lily. I laid and waited for Officer Matt to show up, but he never came. After some time even I passed out due to my injury.

When I woke up, Dr. Liv told me that I passed out because of the damage caused to my nerves. The medicines which I had been taking for it to heal had lost their power, and my nerves became more damaged than before. I'm surprised I haven't gone into a coma and died yet. That earned me a hit on the head from Alice when I told her the last sentence.

Later I got to know that a few minutes after my talk with Officer Matt about Macy, a truck came speeding in their direction and to get away they turned their car and crashed with a tree. Luckily no one was hurt badly because they used some skill of theirs and escaped from the car just in time, but the car still got damaged pretty badly. Hence they could not make it on time as they still had to cover a long distance by walk.

I know I can't blame them but see it from my point of view, do you think I will be able to forgive them that easily? If you would've forgiven them, then curse me all you want because I have a small heart.