Detention

When I opened the door I found him laughing with Ms. Keller. I thought he said there was nothing going on between the two of them... I thought he said he was my boyfriend. I was very confused. Today had been long enough on it's own before this.

I walked in slowly. Mr. Knight sat up in his chair. "Marisa, I have a student who has to serve a detention. I'll call you later and we can finish our conversation." He smiled at her.

I walked to a desk and sat down, pulled out a notebook and pen.

"Nani, what was going on today? You seem upset right now."

I looked at him with a confused stare. How did he not understand? I mean I know he wasn't by my side all day, but my horrible day started off with his class!

"Nothing. I'm fine. What do I have to do?" I said without looking at him.

He walked closer to me and said softly, "Nothing... You can go home if you want to."

I grabbed my stuff and packed up. I heard the pain in his voice when he said that. As I began to walk out of the room he walked up to the board and starting writing on it. I turned to him once I got the doorway, "I guess it was stupid to think a teacher would actually want to date a girl like me."

I walked out and shut the door before he could say anything else. Then I stood there for a second to catch my breath.

Then I heard a crash. It came from the room. Was Luca okay? I was scared. Should I go check on him?

I put my door on the door handle, but I didn't open it. Then I felt the handle move a little and I backed up quickly. Luca opened it and was standing there perfectly okay. Me on the other hand... well I wasn't okay. We made eye contact for a seconds, then ran away. I couldn't let him see me upset. I wouldn't let him know that I was hurt by the fact that he didn't want me anymore. I mean who could blame him though? I'm average. Nothing extraordinary.

I drove home and parked my car. I walked down to the mailbox to get the mail, and while I was sifting through I saw a letter addressed to me. What was this? I walked inside, no one was home of course, and opened the letter. I sat down and read it. Well I guess I had been caught speeding because this was a traffic ticket from one of those traffic light cameras. Great. I have to pay this now too.

"Could this day get any worse?!" I screamed to the empty house and heard my echo. I started to cry. Hard. I had balled it up the entire day, but I couldn't take it anymore.

I had been crying for almost 20 minutes when I heard my doorbell ring. I wiped the tears from my face, and walked over to the door and looked through the peephole.

It was Luca...

I opened the door, but I did not look at him. I didn't want him seeing me weak.

"Nani, are you okay?" He lifted my chin. I looked up at him with my bloodshot watery eyes. I knew he could tell I was upset and that I had been crying. I stepped back.

"Mr. Knight, can I help you?"

He seemed confused. "Nani, I said you can call me Luca..."

"OH SO NOW I CAN CALL YOU LUCA?!" I yelled as tears started to fall down my face. "WE WERE ALONE EARLIER. NO ONE WAS IN THE CLASSROOM. YOU MADE ME FEEL SPECIAL. YOU TOLD ME YOU WERE MY BOYFRIEND AND I'VE NEVER HAD A BOYFRIEND BEFORE. THEN YOU RIPPED IT ALL AWAY FROM ME. YOU PUT AN IDEA IN MY HEAD THAT WAS MAGICAL AND YOU CRUSHED MY DREAMS. ALL FOR WHAT?! MS. KELLER!? WHATEVER LUCA. DO WHAT YOU WANT. SHE'S YOUR AGE ANYWA-"

Luca stepped in and held me. He shut the door behind him, and let me just cry in his arms. I was so hurt. I thought for once someone had actually liked me. I thought there was a one in a million chance that someone had noticed the average girl. I wasn't just a nobody anymore. But I guess I was. Or maybe I wasn't because now he was in my house holding me while I cried. I am just so confused. Why is he doing this to me?