Chapter 1

DISCLAIMER: I don't own the tv show Falling Skies or their characters. Only Emily, Colton, and Avery. 

Thank you and enjoy the story. -M

Edited, again

     I kept telling myself to continue moving, but my body didn't respond to my order anymore. My back was killing me for carrying the backpack for too long, and the numbness started spreading through my legs while my feet stung with every step I took.

     Squeezing my eyes shut for a couple of seconds and then opening them wide, was the best thing I could do to try to stay awake. If I was entirely honest, I enjoyed it, as every time my eyes were close I caught little glimpses of my old room where I had spent most of my childhood playing with dolls, and dancing to my favorite songs.

     I could feel the emptiness in my stomach growing bigger. My body yelled at me to throw up, but I had nothing inside of me to vomit. My gut made disgusting noises, and the only thing I could do was question myself if I was going to be able to eat anytime soon.

     My mouth had a funny sensation, which was something I had never experienced before. Two days, only forty-eight hours had passed since our last proper meal, although it felt much longer than that. The simple tastes I had grown up so used to were slowly, but inevitably, fading away. But somehow, if I tried hard enough, I was capable of tasting most of my favorite food. The melted cheese of a pizza dissolving in my mouth, the bubbly soda running down my throat, and the way the overly salted fries tasted on my tongue.

      A quick chill went down my body making me realize my small hands were stone cold, and all because of the frigid air flowing around and the lack of sun. I could spot forming clouds in the gray sky, although the sky view was obstructed by tall pine trees.

     An insignificant crack sound made me jump on the spot. My fingers tightened around my father's heavy gun as I pointed it all around, not that my actions would be any protection. My heartbeat accelerated, but I quickly recovered, as I did every time I noticed an unfamiliar noise.

     "W-we're okay. It's just the leaves. We're going to be just fine," I whispered to myself, pushing away the thought of those machines following us.

     I turned my head around and directed my attention towards the two little kids behind me.

     My younger sister's backpack bounced up and down her shoulders, as she tried to catch up with me. Our little brother was beside her as he struggled with the tree's roots on the ground.

     Their small bodies were filthy, with mud and dust covering most of their face, arms, legs, and hands. Their distinct and faultless blonde hair was much darker and messy.

     "Em, I'm tired," Colton complained. "My eyes won't stay open." He rubbed his eyes repeatedly with his little hands and sighed.

   "Just a little longer, Colton. I know you can do it." I prayed for him to stay awake until we could get to a secure area, but I knew I was pushing both of them too hard.

     Exhaustion was the only word I could use to describe them at the moment. I was aware of the risks I was putting them through by demanding that much from them, but the thought of those awful aliens taking them away from me was much stronger. After all, they were just a four-year-old little boy and an eight-year-old girl.

     Avery pushed some of her blonde hair away from her face before extending her hand towards Colton. "Here, take my hand." Avery grabbed our brother's sweaty hand in hers. "Now you can walk with your eyes shut while I guide you around."