III.

11:58pm

I am terrified.

     As if I stood in the heart of a beehive, the buzz of the bar screamed deafeningly to my listening ears.

Maybe I shouldn't have come. I barely prepared myself for this- I mean I don't know even know how to begin to socialize with other adults. Do I just ask for a drink and that's it? What do I order? I don't know anything about drinks? Oh god, what if I embarrass myself?! Look at me, look at what I'm wearing! This was a mistake. This was a huge-

"You look amazing by the way." Steve's voice pierced through my thoughts.

"Huh?"

"I said you looking amazing. You have nothing to worry about, okay? I'll choose the drinks, we can find a table near the windows, and I'll buy you boneless wings. Sounds like a plan?" He squeezed my wrist reassuringly.

I nodded and smiled timidly.

He called over the bartender. "Can I get a Cap. Spice and a vinty beer- Side of boneless wings?"

"Sauce?"

"Honey barbecue and Celery." He said, handing the money to the man.

"You got it."

With a nervous stare I scanned the room, analyzing each body I could lay my eyes on with detalied intent. It's intrusive and probably does more harm than good, but it was sort of a nervous O.C.D. of mine. A defense mechanism I had developed around the age of 12, preparing myself for what may be to come by sort of skimming through the pages of a person's mind; listening to little demos of their thoughts.

"I swear to god if he brings that up one more fucking time.."

          "I should be okay to drive.."

"She was supposed to be back like 20 minutes ago? What the hell..."

                 "Please don't talk to me. Please don't talk to me...."

"..Now let's just hope she's single..."

            "The bathroom's flooded with Skanks..."

"You're only making things worse for yourself by doing that." Steve nudged me.

"I know." I whispered in a defeated sigh."I can't help it."

He handed me a tall glass of a Cinnamon smelling drink. "Here. Try this." He said, walking us to our promised table.  "It'll help you relax."

"What's this?" I asked climbing into my seat.

"A Captain's Spice: hard rum and cinnamon blended in a vanilla creme finish. It's a great drink for beginners and should tame any anxieties you may have for the night. Also a good buzz to start off with."

"Hm." I hummed before putting the glass to my lips, taking in the drink with a small gulp.

Like freshly cooked sugar cookies laying atop my tastebuds, the hot drink poured down my throat with a slightly punishing sting. The feeling was welcoming, a warm hug embracing the insides of my stomach lovingly as the alcohol left my sides with settling tingles. I could already feel my muscles begin to un-tense.

"Oh wow." My lips curled with pleasant surprise.

"Like it?"

Into the drink I indulged further."I love it!" I wiped the cream from my top lip. "Huh, I always thought liquor was supposed to be disgusting?"