Scarlet

"We've gotten pretty far into the book," I noted, brushing my index finger along the mass of papers we've gone over together.

"Yes, we have..." Yuri agreed, seeming as warm as usual. I was happy that she seemed to have a pleasant time yesterday evening- I sure did, at least.

I let go of my side of the cover, and turned to face her slightly; moving around wasn't such a nuisance anymore, considering we sat on the floor together now. "Do you want to take a break?" I asked her, offering her a couthe smile.

Yuri nodded lightly, returning friendly exchanges, eyes lit up like a furnace.

Finally, I could set the book down without having the urge to continue reading it, spending time with Yuri was truly the only way to stall such an urge, isn't that how it always is? A girl, just by presence, can resist just about anything? It's quite phenomenal.

Yuri got a little closer to me, even though we were practically touching by our sides. "I want to satisfy you. I-I mean, I want to make you tea..."

The way she stuttered began to grow on me, as if it made me feel good whenever she did so. It was like a way of indicating that she's so coerced to not fail around me.

I lowered my eye lids and stared at her. "Thank you Yuri, you're such a good girl." I had said so without thinking of how she'd react to that, I'm sure it wouldn't phase her.

Yuri's cheeks melted in utter emotion. She looked like she was lost in ecstasy. "I-I'm going to go make our tea... Thank you so much -kun, thank you for being with me..." she said. She seemed to be on the verge of shedding tears, seeing how emotional that one single sentence made her.

I sat there for a little longer than I had anticipated.

She's been gone for a good eight minutes.

I decided to set the book down on the floor, leaning up against Yuri's bag, and went to go check if she was doing alright.

Monika stopped me in my tracks, before I could exit the door. "Hey, what're you up to?" she asked, holding a hand to her hip.

I turned around as our eyes met, I could tell that she seemed to be displeased seeing me leave the room. "Don't worry about it. Yuri's just been gone for a little while."

Suddenly, Monika's expression fell into an unsettling grimace. "Ah. Well, do as you must. Just be careful."

Be careful? That's only something I've ever heard when leaving the house, especially when I was young, when my parents were around.

Be careful.

Disregarding it, anyhow, I pursued the hallways. I deciphered whether I should head down to the hall with the library, or the hall with a selection of arithmetic classrooms. It seemed logical to go right, considering there's a water fountain just around the corner, so I advanced.

"Yuri?" I called out, scowering the halls in search of her. I felt kind of worried- maybe it's that time of the month..?

"Haah... Haah... Ahh, Ah-haah..."

The murmurring sounded like faint, half painful, half erotic moans. It was accompanied with a searing sound, like a quieter version of paper being torn out of a notebook.

I peered over the corner.

"Yuri, I-"

Her arm.

The blood seemed ever so crimson.

Her face ever so pale.

Where was I.

Yuri walked into the door, after a long wait. Frankly, I was getting quite worried about her being gone for so long, and was on the verge of going out to make sure she was alright.

"I gotta say, I was getting a little worried. Are you feeling okay?" I asked Yuri, as she handed me my tea cup, and sat down next to me, quite close as expected.

Yuri nodded. "I'm okay," she sipped her tea and let out a hot breath. "It feels so good to know that somebody is worrying about me, especially if it's you..." she said to me, with a warm smile.

you.

We sat together for a solid twenty minutes or so, until Monika had came over to us.

Monika pointed her index finger to Yuri, clasped both hands together, and held them against her face with her eyes closed; she wanted to know if Yuri was sleeping.

Not even noticing, Yuri was fast asleep, nose buried in my neck, resting soundly.

I nodded, but gave her a perplexed expression in return. Monika motioned her hand in a way that signaled me to follow her.

I nodded once more, and positioned Yuri to rest on my bag, so she at least feels somewhat comfortable.

"Hey... So, I know this is going to sound sudden... But you shouldn't be spending so much time with Yuri. You know, you should start keeping your distance and whatnot." Monika said; I've never heard her speak this way, even Sayori looked confused, who was reading with Natsuki just a minute ago.

"What?" I said, almost in a virulent tone.

Monika waved her hands side to side. "No no, I didn't mean that in a bad way... She's just... Unsafe. You see, whenever she gets excited, she cuts herself. It's not for depression reasons or anything, she just gets a little high from it is all. Almost sexual. And I guess you've been giving her a heavy infliction on it lately, you know, she really likes you," Monika paused and lowered her brow to a more serious position, "A little too much."

I looked at Monika as if I was wanting to tell her that everything she was saying was absurd. A wrist-slitting high? It doesn't seem probable.

I simply nod, and head back to sit with Yuri, laying her head back on my shoulder, to where she was comfortable yet again.