- Chapter 11 -

The rest of Monday seemed to come and go, and Tuesday was even quicker

   The rest of Monday seemed to come and go, and Tuesday was even quicker. I still hadn't helped my mother and it was beginning to weigh on me more than I would have ever imagined. After the poker match, Ailis spent the rest of the day whittling all of the gold out of the poker chips he had earned. Now these weren't normal poker chips that I had ever seen before. These were made of shiny material, covered in golden flecks and chunks.   

I glance down at my backpack, my pencil tapping quietly on the table as I listen to my math teacher drone on and on about the history of some formula. I wasn't paying attention. The bag sat delicately on the floor next to my seat as tiny snoring sounds echoed out of it. I wondered if anyone else could hear it or if it was just me because I was zoned in on it.

I looked around the room. There wasn't a single student that was paying enough attention to anything to hear the sounds coming from my backpack. A few girls closer to the front of the class fiddled with their notes frantically writing every word the instructor said. The tiered seating making it so everyone had a perfect view of the front. There couldn't be more than a hundred people in this classroom and lucky for me, none of them sat this far up.

I moved the notebook to the side that I had been doodling on for the last few hours. Thoughts wandering through my head as I looked over the page. Nothing but a bunch of hearts and horribly drawn flowers. This was what I always did.

I tried my best to focus on the lecture but I couldn't help it. I was too excited to head to my next class. Nathan has given me a ride to school Monday morning, teased me about acting weird the entire time, and I hadn't talked to him since. I didn't have shop class on Tuesdays so today was my chance to see him.

After what felt like forever the instructor finally released us. I yanked my bag up off the floor earning me a squeal from the creature inside. I shushed him as I carried my notebook in my hand. I needed to get to the parking lot. The sooner I did, the closer I would be to Nathan. I felt like a young school girl as I walked through the hallways of the university. Fumbling with my feelings as I thought back to the day he had ran into me. The first day of university.

I hadn't realized then how big of a deal that would be. My body trembling as I left the building and paced towards my car. The bag was swaying on my back and I could feel Ailis's tiny hands propped against my back as if he was using them to stable himself. Soon a whisper came from the bag.

"Could ya, slow down a wee bit?" The words were much clearer than when he had been talking to his friends but still muffled by the bag he was hiding in. If he could just hold it out for a few more steps I would practically be in my car. I shook my head ignoring him as I continued to hustle the rest of the way through the parking lot. "Em..." I heard his tiny voice once again.

I flung the car door open dropping my bag on the passenger seat before unzipping it. Slamming the door shut I head over to my side of the car. Once behind the steering wheel I watched as the tiny creature began to crawl his way out of the bag. His face as green as his petticoat.